Friday, November 14, 2014

Phrases of Life

CATCH PHRASE:   A phrase, as in a slogan, that comes to be widely and repeatedly used.

Who remembers these catch phrases?  “Beep, Beep.” Road Runner, Looney Tunes 
     “…brought to you by the letters ____” Sesame Street
      “Cowabunga!” Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
      “Deal, or no deal?” Howie Mandel, Deal or No Deal
      “Don’t squeeze the Charmin.” Charmin tissues commercial 
      “Eh, what’s up, doc?” Bugs Bunny, Looney Tunes 
      “Excuuuuse me!” Steve Martin, Saturday Night Live 
       “Finger lickin’ good” KFC commercial 
      “He likes it! Mikey likes it!” Life cereal commercial 

There are  many, many more.  Perhaps you can remember the phrase and where it originated from. Perhaps you only know the phrase from hearing it repeatedly and have no idea where it came from. The above are popular because of television.  There are others that I have heard all my life.

     Slower than molasses in January.
     Ain't that just ducky?
     A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
     A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 
     A diamond in the rough. 
    You're more nervous than a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

And there are some I refrain from using any more just because they wouldn't be considered 'politically' correct. I grew up with them and mean no disrespect but have learned to curtail the usage of them.  Although, I admit there are occasions when they just slip out.  

A former episode of Ducky Dynasty had Willie Roberson saying that everyone needed a catch phrase of their own.  I suppose he's right.  And it has occurred to me that I have one (or two even) and have only just realized it.  Let me share my catch phrases.

   "Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about."   This phrase has become very handy for me.  I might remark on something and am told no I don't think so.  So I just respond ' maybe I don't know what I'm talking about'. Relay some information that you are sure you think someone told you to have that someone say you didn't hear that from me?  Just reply 'maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.'  I'm sure you are starting to see the benefits of this particular phrase. And it has become handier as I have gotten older. Actually, maybe it's my age that caused the phrase.  

   "Thing Happen".  I tend to use this phrase a lot also.  My husband says I am accident prone.  I just say 'things happen.'  It works very well for that.  When something doesn't go as you plan just reply, 'things happen'. All plans go awry at some point - just remember 'things happen'.  This also helps you to keep things in perspective and not get upset when 'things happen'.  

What's your catch phrase or do you even have one? Is there a phrase that make people think of you when they hear it?  If you don't have  a catch phrase, perhaps it's time you found one. It's always handy when you just don't know what to say.  

And I'm gonna leave you with this popular phrase from the eighties 
     
          'Ayyyyyyyy'  from the Fonz aka Arthur Fonzarelli 







No comments:

Post a Comment