Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Doing things New Orleans Style

Oh man!  How does time get away from me?  I'm 3 posts behind regarding new food.  So let's get started!

Three weeks ago we decided to go Cajun.  Gary decided to make some Blackened Chicken.


Doesn't that look good?  It was!  He took paprika, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and made a rub.  He then drizzled olive oil on the chicken breasts and then rubbed the spices over the chicken. He then popped it in the oven and let it bake for 30-40 minutes.  Oh my gosh! was this ever good.  We sent the left over spices home with Rick so he could use them in the near future on a meat of his choice.

What do you serve with Blackened Chicken, you ask?

'


Cheese grits of course.  This is the same recipe that Gary used previously.  Nothing new here.  Just some grits with jalapeno in them and cheese added to it.  Is there any way to make a small amount of grits?

We also had a salad



and some rolls



Now for something else new -- beignets!



Oh my gosh were these good!  Dissolve yeast in warm water, then add sugar, salt, eggs, evaporated milk, and flour beat until smooth.  Add shortening and rest of your flour and mix well.  Cover and chill.  I made the dough up the night before and put it in the fridge.  On New Food Night I pulled the dough and rolled out part of it then cut in small pieces. I then dropped these in hot oil and let them cook until they were golden brown and puffy.  I then coated them with powdered sugar. Yes I made sure I used powdered sugar not flour! (Remember our funnel cake incident?)  They just melted in your mouth they were so good!

We had a Surprise Diner (we knew he was coming but you didn't). Our pastor and friend Art joined us.  He really enjoyed the beignets!  He enjoyed them so much that I went and made more!  He wasn't the only one who enjoyed the second batch  LOL

And since I had made a full batch of dough I just stuck what I didn't use for beignets that night into the fridge.  The next evening I pulled it out of the fridge and rolled it out into a rectangle.  I then spread melted butter over the dough and sprinkled brown sugar and cinnamon on top.  I then rolled this up and cut into slices and made some cinnamon rolls!.  These were yummy too.

Now, wait until you hear about the next new food we tried. Oh wait -- I can't do that here -- I'll post again tomorrow.  Be sure and check back and if you want to join us for one of our new food nights just let us know.

















No comments:

Post a Comment