Saturday, February 29, 2020

Unexpected Memories

I stepped off the elevator at work the other day and it hit me. 

The smell of cherry pipe tobacco.



This is a very distinctive smell and one I hadn't smelled for over 30 years. 

My dad was a pipe smoker and he liked cherry pipe tobacco.  So there it was - a memory of my dad from nowhere.  Unexpected.  But it lead to another unexpected memory of my brother who passed away just a few weeks ago.

My dad had several pipes and always had pipe tobacco around.  Always.    Sometimes it was a small pouch but he also had a humidor that he kept pipe tobacco in.  One year for Christmas one of us kids got him some cherry pipe tobacco for that humidor. 



Fast forward to July after that Christmas.  We kids were home while Mom and Dad were at work.  Wayne convinced me that we needed to try chewing tobacco. 

Don't you know that there was still some of that cherry pipe tobacco in Dad's humidor?  And of course Wayne thought that was what we should try chewing. 

OH MY WORD!!!  That stuff was so nasty!!!  It was the one and only time I ever tried chewing tobacco. Wayne of course chewed his longer than I did but neither of us really chewed it for very long.

Those unexpected memories come from nowhere sometimes.

They can hurt.

But at the same time - it brings a smile and gratitude that I have those memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment