Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Spring Break Road Trip



I promised details on my recent Spring break trip and here they are. My cousin agreed to road trip with me from Oklahoma to Buckeye, Arizona.  You may remember that I was just out there for my daughter's wedding. That was a wedding only weekend so I told the grandkids that I would come back out the following weekend to play.  We got in town on Monday evening and by Saturday morning I was back on the road!



I  had convinced a cousin to go along with me. We spent a lot of time together as kids but not much time as we became older. We both thought it would be fun and we were right!  My goal, as usual, was to make it to Albuquerque before stopping for the night. My cousin Chris had never driven through New Mexico. I have more times than I can possibly count. I was able to advise of upcoming sights to watch out for and possibly photograph. 

We made it much farther than Albuquerque almost through New Mexico stopping at Gallup for the night. This meant we would have a much shorter drive the next day.We took our time, enjoyed the scenery and finally arrived at my daughters house. Now the fun can begin!.

Donuts for breakfast is a favorite with the grandkids and we managed this three mornings! They have a good donut shop not to far from their house. We did some shopping with granddaughter  Cady, watched a football practice, made a field trip to see Hobo Joe, hiking in the dessert with the boys, movie in the park on our last night, worked in some Pinterest projects, track meet and a trip to the comic book store. That's just a quick synopsis of what we did. Let's now hit the highlights. 

The first full day we shopped and did the field trip. We also decided to try a Pinterest project of a
Watermelon Pizza.  This proofed to be a disaster. Let's say that there is a reason Gary does not usually let me use knives. I was trying to slice the watermelon. Trust me when I say I don't know what happened. But when I look down and see a big gash in my hand I rush to the sink and some water. Tell Tarinda I need a couple of paper towels. Then I really look at the cut. I tell her, I think this may actually need some stitches. We get some paper towels wrapped around my hand and I'm holding it up and off we go to the Urgent Care. Tarinda asked if we should call Gary but I say no let's wait until it's stitched up. 

The Urgent Care doctor looks at it and says he won't touch it I need to go to the ER. Great!!!  I decide maybe I better call Gary just in case it's more serious than I think. His response?  Hilarious laughter! Yes, that's right - he laughed at me. It's nice to know that over a thousand miles away I can still make laugh like that. Well, four hours later we head back home with me sporting 7 stitches and my hand all bandaged up. We also have lots of pictures thanks to  my daughter.  Anyone who really wants to see them message me - I don't mind sharing but not everyone has the stomach for them. 

Well, that's already a lot of excitement and the week has just begun!  The boys decided that we needed to introduce Chris to our version of Family Fun. So we go to the Dollar Tree and stock up on silly string.  Wow! Two silly string fights in a little over a week - we are lucky! As we are cleaning up our mess outside I ask Billy C. to bring me the broom. He heads my way with it to be stopped by Tarinda telling him not to give me the broom. His response, 'It didn't have any sharp edges so I thought she would be ok".  LOL  

Oh the fun doesn't stop here. One of the boys got a long board for his birthday. Of course I tried it. Wouldn't you? Billy very carefully helped me balance while I rode it a short distance. I tell you, skateboards and long boards always look like so much fun. I just have trouble balancing on them. He was not watching when I kicked off my sandals and tried the long board again.  Yep, I fell backwards. Hard!  You should see the bruise I got on my good hand from that fall. Most impressive to him was, since I was barefooted, when my feet slipped off it took callouses off my feet. He said a whole layer of skin was on his longboard!  My best bud Remington, upon hearing of this, told his mom that was what he liked about me. 'Even with  my limited abilities I was not afraid to try things.' Let me explain that  my limited abilities he is referring to is my fake knee.

A few days later Jimmy gets a set of ramps for his birthday present. Man those really look like fun. I can't wait to try them out. Gary, however, upon learning of this informs Jimmy and me that I AM NOT to try them out. It's only because Jimmy wants Grampa's comic books when he dies that he agrees with Grampa. I, however, am quick to remind him that Grampa is not there and would really have no way of knowing if I tried them or not. Let me put your mind at ease - I didn't. I do however think I could easily done the scooter on the ramps. Even I know that me trying a long board on ramps is a really bad idea.

Did I mention we tried a couple of Pinterest projects. Well, the first one was obviously a big disaster. Our other one turned out quite well.  We made clay pot lighthouses. This was a successful Pinterest project that I will be displaying in my yard after I get a clear coat on it for protection.

Chris and I head back home on Saturday with the intention of stopping 'on the corner in Winlow, Arizona.' This was a fun stop and we enjoyed it. Chris picked up an Eagle's CD and we spent the remainder of our trip just taking it easy!  Can't wait for another road trip but still healing from this one.

There you have it, highlights of my Spring Break,  Who wants to road trip with me next?  It doesn't have to be this long - we could do a short 3 day trip somewhere. 








No comments:

Post a Comment