Thursday, December 3, 2015

Post-Thanksgiving Feast

Thanksgiving - thoughts of all the food we prepare to celebrate. Thoughts of all the leftovers.

By the time New Food Night rolled around this week we thought we would all be tired of turkey with the trimmings so we planned on another soup night.  Turned out to be a good  choice as the weather had turned off colder.

Gary chose to make a taco soup.



Looks good, huh?  Tasted good too.  I don't know how you could make a small batch of this. Well, I guess if you used small cans of the veggies you could.  He took a pound of hamburger and browned plus some taco meat we had leftover from tacos. Some diced tomatoes, canned black beans, canned corn -- simmer (probably more stuff too but I don't know).  Good stuff!

Miss Annette made up a gumbo.



This was very well received. Some chicken chunks, smoked sausage, Zataran dirty rice, seasonings. .  This was very good.  We all thought it would be good with the taco soup ladled on top. I don't know that any of us tried it, though.

Mr. Rick brought a pot of ham and beans that had been cooking in the crock pot all day.



I LOVE ham and beans!  We don't have them very often as they are not a favorite of  Gary's.  I remember I was so excited when we moved to Tulsa and went to church for Wednesday night meal and they were going to have ham and beans.  My mouth watered all day thinking of them.  I found out that here in Tulsa ham and beans consists of pinto beans!  What a disappointment for me!  They were good but not what I grew up with.

Northern or Navy beans with ham and cornbread!  Take the cornbread and put in the bottom of your bowl.  Butter the cornbread then add chopped onions then add a lot of ham and beans!  That is good stuff.  And the ham and beans Mr. Rick made were yummers!  We didn't have the cornbread but that was okay.  My Granny Lake called them dry beans.  One time she told me she was going to make dry beans and I had no clue what she meant -- she had to explain to me.  Makes sense as they are dry until they are cooed.

Kind of a side note here (nothing to do with this New Food Night) but I always think of cornbread and milk.  We would take cornbread, add butter and onions then pour milk over it.  Oh my gosh!  I love cornbread and milk!

So there we have three very hearty soups and they were all good.  I could not decide what I would have seconds of.

But WAIT!  We are not done.  We have a dessert soup.

K.C. made a Scandanavian Blueberry Soup.



It could be served warm or cold so we just opted for room temperature.  Blueberries, lemon juice, syrup, cardamon.  Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt.  Good stuff.

Now I had made some Fall Leaf Sugar Cookies but forgot to take a picture of them.  Just used a plain sugar cookie recipe. Divided the dough into 3 balls and used food coloring to color it red, yellow, and orange. Mixed some of each color and rolled out then cut into fall leaf shapes and baked.  Very pretty and I do love a good sugar cookie.

There you have it - our tired of turkey meal.  Now just wait until you read about next week's meal!  I will give you a hint - we haven't had Italian for a while and it happens to be a favorite of Miss Annette and myself.  My mouth is watering right now thinking of the dish I convinced Gary to make.


No comments:

Post a Comment