Friday, September 23, 2016

What's For Dessert?

Do you ever hear, 'What's for dessert?' I don't know about you but dessert is not something that I grew up with.  Now don't get me wrong - we had cakes and cookies and even pies and puddings but we never actually had dessert with our meals.  Well, sometimes we did have Jello. They were more around to snack on.  One of my dad's favorite things to snack on was yellow cake straight from the oven with butter on it.  If you haven't tried it you should.

So recently our Lily-girl was baptized!  Very happy occasion for sure. However, circumstances did not allow us to have a 'special' meal for her then.  She asked to be allowed to choose our theme for New Food Night.  Can you guess what her theme was?  DESSERT NIGHT --- she has been trying to get us to do this for quite some time.

Grampa made a compromise. He would make a soup and then everyone else could bring a dessert.  Pretty good compromise.  So here you have our Dessert Night Themed Dinner,

As promised, Gary made a soup.


He went with Taco Soup.  Now this may not be new to you all but it's the first time it has ever been made at our house.  We really like it and I can see that we will be making this again.  It makes a lot so we will have to just share with a neighbor or friend.

NOW FOR THE DESSERTS

I made some Iced Pumpkin Cookies.



These things are addictive!  Just a soft pumpkin flavored cookie iced.  Yummers. I will make these again and perhaps add some cinnamon chips to them.

Miss Annette made Lemon Chantilly Crean


Now how good do these look?  Lemon pound cake, with cool whip flavored with some lemon zest and topped with raspberries and blueberries dusted with sugar.  OH! MY! GOSH!!  This is a perfect light dessert.

Lastly, we have Frozen Hot Chocolate.


This was K.C.'s contribution.  Some chocolate chips melted with milk, hot chocolate mix and ice all blended together!  What a great summer time treat.

Here's a picture of my dessert plate.


Yes, I also had a cup of coffee as I knew I would be eating a cookie (or two or three).  LOL

Here's a couple of other photos from Dessert Night.



The kids had bought some build-a-straw kits and Remington was trying his out at dinner.

So tell me, is dessert something you always have with your evening meal or is it a special occasion thing?  Or, like me, do you just have it around to snack on?


No comments:

Post a Comment