Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Little Ice Storm

Well today is the first day of winter.  And we are having another winter storm. We don't get much snow here in Tulsa but we sure do get the ice, and right now we are having an ice storm.  Started last night and continued through most of the day today.  Our one and only tree is covered in ice.  While pretty to look at it is not very safe when the limbs start falling out of the tree from the weight of the ice.  The poem below describes the scene in our front yard.

                  THE ICE STORM

     Trees covered in ice, while pretty to see
     Makes walking the path a hazard for me.
     Limbs are dangling lower than ever before
     They won't be able to handle much more.
     A crack from above sends my eyes high
     And I dodge the limb falling from the sky.     
     Ice crystals shatter as they hit the ground
     Like breaking glass is the sound.
     It's eerie and scary and I don't want to be
     Anywhere near the ice covered tree.
     I go back inside and settle myself down
     But I can't help hearing that scary sound
     A crack  and a thud as limbs keep dropping
     The noises alone just keep me hopping.
     Each limb sounds louder than the one before
     And each one sends me running to the door.
     The night wears on and still the limbs fall
      I'm not sure I will get any sleep at all.

 Kathie Marrs
December 21, 2013
                    


    




No comments:

Post a Comment