Monday, December 2, 2013

Christmas at the Ranch

I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but when my older girls were little we had the opportunity to be dorm parents at Cal Farley's Boys Ranch outside of Amarillo.  I have always been grateful for the opportunity my girls and I had at the Ranch.  Plus, I have always been very thankful for "my boys" from that time.  Through Facebook I have been able to reconnect with several of them. 

I don't know how things are run at the Ranch now but when we were there Christmas was special.  Most of the boys went home to be with their family for Christmas.  Every boy received a new set of clothes (Christmas issue).  A Cantata was presented the night before everyone went home and after the Cantata every dorm had a Christmas party.  Santa visited each dorm and everyone received a Christmas present from him. 

This past weekend while looking through my recipes for my Pumpkin Roll recipe I came across some poems I wrote at Christmas time when we were at the Ranch in the mid-80's.  I want to share one of these poems with you.

     Twas a few days before Christmas and all over the Ranch,
     Boys had trimmed every bush and branch.
     The boys were busy, they had suitcases to pack
     And all were wondering what Santa had in his pack.
     Dorm parents were dressed in their very best,
     Praying for even a minute of rest.
     When down at the Dining Hall we heard an uproar.
     Everyone fell down trying to get through the door.
     A jolly old man in red passed us by
     As he brought his sleigh down from the sky.
     "I just stopped at the Ranch to give the reindeer a rest.
     And to wish all of you the very best.
     I'll be back for the party tonight have no fear
     But had to stop while I was so near.
     I see you are ready, Cantata practice is through
     And everyone is wearing his Christmas issue."
     He walked among the boys and shook every hand
     Gave candy canes to boys from Carter and Frying Pan.
     "The reindeer are rested, I must be on my way."
     We heard him exclaim as he jumped in his sleigh.
     We heard him say in a voice cheery and bright.
     "Merry Christmas to all.  See you at the party tonight!"


Note: Carter and Frying Pan were the 'little boy dorms' for boys through Kindergarten age.

So here's wishing a Merry Christmas to my boys from the Ranch -- love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment