Tuesday, November 26, 2013

What Tools Do You Use?

Almost everyone has a toolbox of some kind around their house.  You may be the totally organized, have everything in it's place, humongous toolbox person.  I love those tool boxes!  They come on wheels have sliding drawers and all kinds of compartments and they usually have the most awesome tools you have ever seen!  I know -- my dad had one.  It was fantastic -- I was not supposed to touch the tools inside.  It was hard because they were awesome!

You might be the person with a little bitty tool box that really is just a box and have an assortment of odd tools but never really have the tool you need to do the job you need to do so you have to go borrow from the neighbor.  You know just enough about how to use tools to create more of a problem when you try to fix something.

Gary and I are not 'tool people'.  LOL  This is funny because we have an indeterminate number of tool boxes.  We have two or three in the shed.  Not sure what tools are in these as we never really use them.  They are bigger tool boxes so the tools must be bigger.  By this I mean they probably have a longer handle on them and are over sized for big jobs.  We have two smaller tool boxes inside the house with an assortment of screwdrivers, hammers, pliers, etc.  We also have a small tool kit which comes with a handle and an assortment of screwdriver ends that can be attached to the handle.  We also have various tool kits that have been given to us.  You know an assortment of screwdrivers, or maybe pliers, or who knows what.  They come packaged and we leave them in the package until we can't find the right size screwdriver so we open the package, pull out what we need and then throw them all in one of the toolboxes.  When the toolbox gets to full we relegate it to the shed where it will never be seen again and proceed to start and fill up another tool box. 

My dad would be so ashamed of me.  My brothers would be too.  Now, it's not that we don't know how to use tools - we just prefer not to if we don't have to.  Gary does a lot of his own repair work at his store so doesn't want to do it at home.  I know how - my dad made sure I learned how.  I can do electrical work (thanks for helping me learn this Uncle Larry), and some basic plumbing etc.  Yep, my dad and brothers taught me how to use tools but they never really made me use them. 

I have my personal favorite tools I like to use.  I keep them in my silverware drawer.  I have a knife that the tip has broken off.  This is perfect to use for a screwdriver - either flathead or Phillips.  Flathead just use it - Phillips use the pointy side of the knife.  This little tool can also double as a hammer by using the handle part.  I also have a butcher knife that was my Mom's.  I use this to open boxes and cut cardboard boxes - works as good as a saw for little things.

Everyone has tools.  Everyone also has access to other tools that they may not realize.  God has provided each of us with unique tools that are our very own.  These are talents or gifts.  They have been give to us by God.  They have been given to us to use - not to sit on or throw into a toolbox to collect rust.  The Heavenly Father is not like my dad was.  He didn't give me the tools and instruct me on how to use them but not expect me to use them.  No!!! It's the exact opposite.  He expects us to use the tools He has given us. Trust me on this - the tools you have been given will not wear out.   

You may have the ability to be a leader.  Perhaps you are a servant.  Maybe you a teacher or an encourager.  Whatever God has given you USE IT!!! And use it generously!  Give of whatever gift you have.  Don't be stingy with it, God will replenish it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment