Monday, November 4, 2013

Continuing Wedding Saga Stories

Well, the big wedding is this Saturday.  Yep, it is down to crunch time for all the final details.  And I am so ready for it to be over!   Don't get me wrong; we are very happy for our daughter and soon to be new son-in-law but oh my word!!!   Trying to coordinate and plan a wedding for 'special needs' children and having some of their care givers wanting to help has been challenging to say the least.  And then try to do it in two months.  Then factor in that I had hand surgery thus putting a time frame on anything I had to get done.  But it is all working out as far as I know.  Anything that doesn't - oh well!  This is a special wedding and will not be typical so we will adjust. 

Just a few highlights from the last couple of weeks for your amusement.  My daughter, bless her heart, is totally oblivious to all that has gone into preparing for her wedding.  She spent a couple of days with K.C. and I doing some shopping then she has spent the rest of her time just doing her same old routine.   Lucky her - every bride should be this oblivious and unstressed about their wedding!

Some of the items that the caregivers at her group home are responsible for are some of the big items for the wedding -- such as the cake  and getting the guys measured for their tuxes. You know - big things in regards to the wedding. .  I have spent an entire month trying to determine if any of this has yet been accomplished.  Within the last week I was finally able to talk to someone about this.  Yes, the cake did get ordered.  Oh, the guys need to be measured for their tuxes?  Where do they need to go?  I will see that it is done.  Yes, the bridesmaid dress was ordered - I just did that myself today.  Yes, the rings are ordered, I have Robert's tucked away in my desk right now.  Well, what a relief to know!  But the drama doesn't end. 

About two weeks ago my daughter calls to say:  hey, Brittany is going to be a bridesmaid.  She wants to be part of the wedding.  My response was:  No she is not!  You cannot add anyone to the wedding at this late date.  You are having Susan and Cady as attendants and that is all!.   She responds:  OK. 
A few days later she leaves me a message on my phone: Hey, Mom, Becky is going to do my makeup for the wedding, Is that OK?  I call her back and advise that: No, it is not okay for Becky to do your makeup.  Becky wasn't even going to be at the wedding.  Perhaps, Becky can do your makeup for rehearsal before you come up for that.  She says: oh, that's a good idea. 

I call the person responsible for the cake to get a few details so I can work on how I want to set up the cake table.  I have been under the impression that we were having a small layer cake and cupcakes.  Well, I guess that has been changed.  It appears that we will be having a two-tier cake.  Hmmmm - hope it works out.   I called the tuxedo rental place to be certain that they did get measured and get an idea of when we can pick up tuxes, etc.  They advise me that they have a measurement for Matt and Larry but not Allen.  I say "Who is Matt?"   I have never heard this name mentioned!   I tell them I only need a total of four tuxes, one for the groom, one for the father and two groomsmen. 

My daughter calls that evening  and says: Are you off Friday?  Me:  As in next Friday before your wedding?  Yes, I normally would be at work but I took the day off, why?  Amanda:  How about 2 o-clock?  Me:  For what?  A:  to rehearse.  Don't we have to rehearse?  Me:  Yes, you do need a rehearsal but how are the others going to get there at two?  Are you bringing them?  A:  No, I just thought it would be a good time.  Me:  Well, I'm trying to get hold of someone down there to see what time they can get everyone up here.  But I'm going to say that we will have rehearsal that evening not that afternoon.  A:  Okay:  Me:  Who is Matt?  She responds: Oh, Larry decided he didn't want to be part of the wedding so Matt is going to.

Allll right.  At this point we are a week away from the wedding.  We need to stop these changes!   I didn't tell her that but felt like it.  LOL It probably didn't help that earlier that day when I called to try and get some details on the wedding cake, which I had been told was going to be a small layer cake with cupcakes, I was advised that it had been changed to a two tier cake!  What!   When did this happen?  Can I have some details of size, etc so I know how to arrange my cake table? 

But to top it all this is by far the best.  Amanda calls several times a week.  I am out running errands for the wedding Saturday, picking up napkins, etc. when Amanda calls.  I had just talked to her the night before so I answer and ask what she needs.  Her response:  I'm bored.  Me: don't you have someone there you can talk to, games you can play or a movie you can watch?  Amanda:  Yeah.  Me:  Well, I'm out running errands for your wedding.  I don't have time to chit-chat because you are bored. 

Seriously, though, we are very happy to do all this for Amanda.  All the family here in town has been busy working on this wedding for her, flowers, food, decorations, backdrop, hemming wedding dress -- and she has missed all this stress.  Out-of-town family will start arriving on Wednesday and they also  will be put to work.  We have rehearsal dinner and reception food to prepare and final decorating to do.  And in the end, we will have one very happy bride and groom and that is all that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment