Saturday, November 16, 2013

Giving Thanks

A lot of my friends are doing the Thankful November on Facebook.  You know, each day they post something they are thankful for.  It's nice reading them and getting a perspective on people.  I, however, do not do that.  I do have a lot to be thankful for and I thought I would blog my thankfulness.  These are not in any particular order. 

I'm thankful for my children, each and every one of them.  They have all grown into wonderful adults.  I'm proud of them and what they have accomplished in their lives and the way they contribute to their community.

I'm thankful for my grandchildren.  What a blessing.  I'm thankful that their parents allow me to spend time with them.  I love it.  My older girls grew up without grandparents and I was always so sad about that.  I'm glad that I get to enjoy my grandchildren and even better - I'm glad that they enjoy spending time with me (or at least put up a good front for me to think they are glad). 

I'm thankful for the people who have helped me with my children.  When my older girls were younger we lived in a small town.  My girls had no grandparents but God blessed us with two wonderful couples and a widower who 'adopted' my girls.  Thanks to Harley and Blanche Joiner, Penny and Helen Bennett and Sammy Bain.  Each of them took one of my girls and treated them as their own.  My girls had someone they could go to and feel special and they were blessed by this.  Sammy even went to Grandparents Day at school with Charlie. 

I'm thankful for my parents.  While they have been gone from me for more years than I was able to have them be a part of my life, they made me who I am today.  From them I learned my love of reading, to be honest and dependable, to stand up for your family.  I learned to always do my best and never buy things you cannot pay for.

I'm thankful for laughter.  I love laughter.  I love the laughter of little children - it always makes me laugh.  I love the laughter of family - in our family I call it contagious laughter.  When we are together and one laughs you can almost guarantee that an attack of giggles and laughter will ensue for at least 10 minutes.  And sometimes we aren't even sure why we are laughing.  I love the fact that I can amuse myself and start laughing without warning just by thinking of something funny or sometimes even my own writing.  Most of all, I love the fact that Gary and I have laughter with each other.  As I have said before, this is a huge part of our marriage. 

I'm thankful for my in-laws.  I know that I was not what they expected to have for a daughter-in-law but they accepted my and my girls and made us a part of their lives.  They raised an exceptional son whom I am proud to call my husband. They bring laughter, joy and love to my life. 

I'm thankful for the friends I have had.  This includes friends from school through adulthood.  Some friends I have lost contact with but think of often.  Some were in my life for a short time but I treasure the time I had with them. 

I'm thankful for Facebook.  Facebook has allowed me to 'find' and reconnect with some school friends I had lost contact with.  I may not see them but can reconnect through Facebook.  I have made new friends through Facebook (thinking of you Gabe as I write this) and I cannot wait until we actually can arrange to meet in person. 

I'm thankful for the Sunday School children God put into my life.  While I was their teacher, I feel l learned so much from each of them.  Several have already graduated and I follow them through Facebook, some are still in school but I can tell that each and every one of them will have an impact no matter where they end up. 

I'm thankful for my brothers.  They were my friends growing up, my playmates and co-conspirators.  We may have had occasions where we did not agree but I know that no matter what, I can count on them.  If there was anything I needed, I know they would do it for me if it was within their power. 

I'm thankful for texting.  This one may seem silly but I enjoy it so much.  I am a texting fool  (and for my daughters - you come from a long line of texting fools LOL).  I love it for sharing amusing antidotes, I love it for sharing photos, I love it for keeping track of everything.  You can send a quick message and the person to whom it goes can answer at their convenience.  I will admit that sometimes the texts I receive (or perhaps even send) will bring out some of that laughter that I also am thankful for.  Gotta love it when you open a text and spit out your coffee because you laugh unexpectedly.

I am thankful for my husband.  It took me a while to find him (and to accept his marriage proposal) but he was persistent and I am so thankful for that.  He brings me so  much happiness and has taught me so much.  God put him in my life just when I needed him. 

I am thankful that I have Jesus in my life.  My faith has brought me through some difficult times but through everything, Jesus has always been there and I have never questioned where He would lead me.  I have never doubted or questioned if I would get through anything because I knew that Jesus was there.

I am thankful for chocolate and coffee.  I don't think this one needs any explanation. 

I am thankful for my health and the doctors I have had.  I have gone through many surgeries and health scares but my doctors have always provided me with excellent care.  I do have instances of aches and pains but overall, I really don't have anything to complain about.  There are so many people with more severe health care issues than mine. 

I'm thankful for the gift of writing that God gave me.  I have always enjoyed writing and making up stories.  I don't utilize it as well as I should but I am so thankful I have it. It brings me joy and I hope to a small degree that I can bring joy, laughter or comfort to others who ready my blogs or poems.   





No comments:

Post a Comment