Tuesday, December 31, 2013

How to Tell If You Are Getting Older

 I have never made any secret of my age.  I'm 56.  I will tell anyone who asks me what my age is.  I don't really feel old - most of the time any way.  But today as I was working in the kitchen I realized that I may be getting older.  Here are a few of the ways you can tell.

1)  You actually use the step stool in the kitchen for it's intended purpose.  I have always been one to just pull myself up on top of the counter and walk around the counter to clean cabinets, etc.  No big deal.  If I wanted a step stool, I would get the wooden high chair and balance myself on the arms.  It always worked.  I've noticed that if I cannot reach something I actually pull out the step stool and climb up it.  This allows me to safely balance on a step while cleaning the hood area above the microwave/stove.  I also will hold onto the top of the step stool as I step down. I used to just jump down from the high chair.

2) Before accepting evening engagements you mentally go through that days activities and the next days activities to determine if you will have time for at least one nap on at least one of those days.  You then calculate in your head how many naps you might actually be able to work in on both of those days.

3)  You actually stop and think before automatically agreeing to any activity that your grand kids suggest.  It doesn't mean you won't do the activity but you think about it before you say yes.  No more automatically agreeing to street hockey in 118 degree weather.  No more automatically saying "I'm in" when the kids ask who wants to go sled riding. You actually stop and contemplate before agreeing to two on two basketball with 3 teenage boys. 

4)  Before eating some of your favorite foods (sauces, gravies, shrimp) you ask yourself if it's worth the pain that will surely follow when your gout flares up.  Doesn't mean you won't go ahead and have two helpings of shrimp with yellow sauce - you sacrifice because Gary doesn't like shrimp.  You just make sure that you have your gout medicine refilled in anticipation of the flare up that is sure to happen. 

5)  You rearrange your cabinets for better ease of access.  Any item you use frequently is put in a space that does not require you to get on the floor to get it out. You determine that you don't need near as many of the dishes or utensils that have always been a staple to use in the past.  If they are required you require someone else to get them out of the back of the cabinet for you.  Same goes when it's time to put them away - it's someone else's job. 

6)  You pick your seating depending on the ease of getting up from said location.  You don't sit in the middle of any sofa.  You know that you need an edge so you have something to hold onto and push yourself up.  If you are required to sit in the middle of a sofa you try to be certain that there is a coffee table nearby that you can use as leverage.  When choosing which side to sit on you stop to determine which side or limb of your body is giving the most problems that day.  You also stop and determine which knee hurts the worst before you decide which one to put weight on when rising. 

Yep, these are just a few of the ways you finally acknowledge to yourself that you are getting older.  Doesn't mean you consider yourself old - it just mean you are acknowledging that you are 'getting older'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment