Friday, January 31, 2014

Phone Calls

I write poems for my kids and grandkids. I have a collection for all the grandkids of poems I have written for them.  One day I will pass each book on to them.  I'm trying to organize my stuff in my dropbox.  While sorting through them I came across this poem I wrote for my oldest grandson.  He used to hide in his closet and call me.  He always whispered because he didn't want his parents to know that he had called.  Hope you enjoy


THE PHONE CALL

He whispers me secrets on the phone
Trying to pretend we are alone.
He’ll hide in his closet or under his bed,
Hoping no one can hear what he has said.

 We’ll tell jokes and sing silly songs
The time never seems all that long.
I’ll say a rhyme; he’ll repeat it back,
Then we’ll get a giggle attack.

 We’ll make plans of fun things to do
We try to think of something new.
He’ll plot tricks against Grampa you see
Hoping to have an accomplice in me.

In a small voice I hear him say,
“How many days till I come to stay?’
He wants the answer to be tomorrow you see.
He’s anxious to come and visit me.

 I tell him who I’ve seen and what I have done,
He says, “Oh that sounds like such fun.”
He tells me of friends and fun at school
And of swimming in the pool

 Soon his mom says it’s time for him to go
That is when I hear him say, “Oh, no!”
“They’re making me go,” I hear him say,
“I’ve talked enough for today.”
 
Then with an exasperated sigh
Quickly he says, “I love you.   Good bye.”
Richard’s call with Grandma is over you see
Until next time he calls to talk to me.


Written for:  Richard
By:  Grandma (Kathie Marrs) January 21, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment