Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Food for Thought

What's your favorite food?  Mine would probably be fettuccine Alfredo.  I should have been Italian.  I love pasta and sauces.. the saucier the better.  Not good for me though so I have been trying not to eat as much.  :(






Is there a certain food that makes you think of your childhood?  Mine would probably be macaroni and cheese baked in the oven.  Granny made this and it was sooooo good.  Another food that makes me think of my childhood?  Oatmeal and hot tea.  That's what my brothers and I had a lot for breakfast - especially during the winter.  Our parents both worked and left for work early.  We would make our own breakfast before going to school.  Usually it would be a pot of oatmeal and a pot of hot tea. Just what we needed to make that long trek to school.  LOL -- if you knew me as a kid you know that we lived 'spitting distance' from the school.  Not a real long walk for us for sure.  It got longer when we moved up to Junior High and High School. 






Another childhood favorite would be shoestring potato chips and black cherry pop.  Good stuff.  Didn't get this at home but Uncle Peno would buy it for us when we went to eat with him and Grampa on Friday nights.  Gooood stuff.  Also had circus peanuts and cockle burr candies.  Oh the good stuff. 




Have I made you hungry yet?  Oh there's more.  Anyone want a fried bologna sandwich?  Or how about root beer barrel candy?  You might think I was hungry from reading this blog.  LOL  Well, I just finished a snack of celery stalks and string cheese.  Not quite what I would have had when I was a kid but it still tasted good.

Actually what brought about this blog was the fact that I just packaged up the tenderloins that Gary and I prepared last night.  Looking forward to eating some of these later this week for Gary's birthday.  Where I come from tenderloin is pretty common.  You can get it at most restaurants.  The tenderloin two to three times the size of the bun.  However, it is hard to come by if you aren't in the Northwest section of Missouri.  I couldn't get it when I lived in Saint Louis or over in the Panhandle of Texas and Oklahoma or even here in Tulsa. 

When I visited my brothers a few years back we were talking and I mentioned that I sure did miss tenderloins as I could not get them.  Guess my brothers still spoil me.  They went out and bought a pork loin, sliced it up, pounded it out, dipped and breaded it and then fried it up.  Oh man did that taste good!    Since then Gary and I will periodically buy a pork loin at Sam's.  We then set up a production line and cut, pound, dip, and bread anywhere from 25-35 tenderloins.  We freeze them individually then bag them up.  Yummers!  Everyone in the family looks forward to them. 

So here's to good food and to my brothers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment