Thursday, August 14, 2014

Not Your Mother



Well, here it is. The start of another new semester at school.  You know what that means. Yep, busy busy time at work. And the crazies come out in full force. You know that means that I may need to do a little bit of venting. Classes start next week and the calls have already started and let me say this, "I am not your mother!"

Don't get me wrong. I love being a mother and grandmother. I would do anything within my power for my children and grandchildren. Let me also say this, the people who call me on the phone are not my children nor my grandchildren.  

So, if you call me asking which scholarships are available for you to apply for I will advise you to go talk to an advisor on campus. I do not have the time to look up individual scholarships that might by chance apply to you. Furthermore, you should have already been checking on this and put in applications.  

No, I will not look up your schedule to see what time or day your class meets. I will advise you how you can log into your account and check your schedule for yourself. Truly, this is something that you need to know. It's not anything that I need to have knowledge of.  

No, I am sorry, I do not know what books you need to buy for your class.  If you will log into your account you can probably get that information from your syllabus. At the very least, you can print off your schedule and take it to the bookstore where they will be able to assist you with your books.  

No I will not log into your account and change your password for you. I will however, be more than happy to talk you through how to do this yourself. No, I cannot tell you what to make your new password. I can recommend that you make it something you will be able to remember. No, I will not tell you how to spell 'blue'. You need to spell it however you want, just make sure you know how you spell it!.

No, I'm sorry. I cannot look up on line and see if a particular class is available for you to enroll in. I can advise you on how to go online yourself and look up any class you may be interested in. I cannot, however, look up classes for every student who calls because they don't want to take the time to check for themselves. 

Yes, I realize that typically your mother will do this for you. That may explain why you do not know your password or the answers to the security questions your mother put in place for you. It probably also explains why you do not know what classes you are taking this semester.  

Don't get me wrong. It's nice for parents to 'help' to a degree. But remember, you cannot go to class with your son or daughter and take notes for them. And if the 'child' you are trying to help is in the age range of 20-45 years of age perhaps you should let them grow up and be adults. 

No comments:

Post a Comment