Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Potluck Tuesday

I know that you have been waiting expectantly to find out what we have been having for New Food Night.  Last week we postponed our evening meal due to family circumstances. All is well and we are cooking again!

Last night we had Potluck Tuesday.  No one knew what anyone was making and everyone was bringing a new dish.  The only thing we knew for sure was that Miss Annette was going to bring an entree.




What do you think of that entree?  Balsamic glazed pork chops with rice.  Yummers!  It tasted so good.  She fixed the pork chops with onion, garlic, and herbs and used a balsamic vinegar for the glaze. She removed the pork chops and then used brown rice that she cooked up then added the pork chops back and finished the dish up.  This is a meal in itself but we are just beginning.  



Side dish of Asian fried Napa cabbage. This was Gary's contribution. He sauteed onion in canola oil with fresh onion, garlic and soy. Add in the Napa cabbage and you have a great side dish.  And because he used Napa cabbage it did not have the pungent smell you usually associate with fried cabbage. 




Mr. Rick brought some beans and ham that he had been cooking in the crock pot all day! How yummy do those look? He soaked his beans overnight.  I remember once my Grannie Lake teling me that she was going to have dried beans to eat.  I didn't know what she meant. Turns out it was just beans like I was used to eating she just called them dried beans.  Makes sense because they are dry until you soak them and cook them.  After soaking the beans overnight he put them in the crockpot with a ham hock and let them cook all day.  Awesomeness!!




My contribution was Oven Roasted Garlic Potatoes. I just love potatoes! Any way you make them I can eat them, raw, boiled, baked, fried, mashed.  They are all good. I took some potatoes and peeled them up. I cut them to approximately the same size and put them in a baking dish so they fit together snuggly. (This was actually what the recipe said to do).  I took some chicken broth, about a cup or so will be enough, and added some garlic seasoning.  I used Garlic Galore Seasoning from Wildtree that I got from my good friend Shellie.  I put the broth and garlic in a pot and heated it up for about a minute to get the flavors mixed good. I poured the broth over the potatoes and then for the really yummy part. I put a pat of butter on each potato. When I say a pat it was probably about 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon of butter on top of each potato. Put this in an oven at 350 degrees and let it bake away for about an hour. Pure goodness!  

We had a cheesecake for dessert - just because Gary thought we should have a dessert. Now that is not to say that any of us turned down the dessert. Gary just happened to be the one think we needed dessert.  

Now, if you thought this meal was good wait until you read what we are having next week!  Don't forget to check back in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment