Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Boundaries

BOUNDARY: something that indicates bounds or limits; limiting or bounding
 line.




We all have our boundaries for things.  How far we let people encroach on our lives and what extent we will share of ourselves.  They probably are not as obvious as the one above but the boundaries are still there. 

Have you ever stopped to think that those boundaries you are setting may be limiting to you?  Wait, what?  read that again.  The boundaries you are setting may be limiting to you.  Yes, I said that and yes, it applies to me too. (That may hurt to hear).  How many times have I let an opportunity pass me by because 'I don't do hot!"  Yes, being outside is very uncomfortable but that doesn't make the need any less important.  How often have I said 'I have to much to do" ?  Really, do I have all that much on my plate that I cannot take an extra hour a week to help out somewhere? And I am probably notorious for saying 'I'm just not sure I could do it". I could just as easily say "I've never done it before but I'm willing to try."


Now let me ask you this - did Jesus put any boundaries on his love for us?  I think not!  In John 13 we are told how Jesus washed the disciples feet. This was an act for servants to perform. The lowliest of all should be doing this act. What Jesus did here was set an example for us.  He crossed a boundary that had been set in place for thousands of years. 

Now think - what boundaries do we put on ourselves when it comes to serving?  Do we consider ourselves 'above' the service that we are going to perform?  How often do we say 'someone needs to do something about that' without realizing maybe we are the someone who needs to be doing something?  

It is so easy to see the need that may be there. Not always so easy to fill the need ourselves. We make excuses - thereby creating boundaries that will keep us from doing the serving. Our boundaries may take many forms:  I don't have the time.  If only it was on a different day.  Oh, I could NEVER do that! 

Let's cross the boundaries, tear them down. Let's cross the fence and do what needs to be done. No more thinking that someone else will do the job. If there is an act of service to be performed and it is scheduled for a Saturday that you already have a commitment, look for another day that you may be able to serve yourself in this same mission.  There are always babies needing to be rocked, held, loved in shelters.  There are always homeless needing to be fed, clothed, given God's word by action. There are always elderly needing assistance with housework, shopping, or just a visit.  There are always people in every aspect of your day who need to see God at work.  Will you be one of the ones who crosses the boundaries and serves?  

No comments:

Post a Comment