Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Veterans Day

VETERANS DAY     A day set aside to honor the men and women who have served their country.  It was first celebrated in 1919 when President Wilson declared November 11th the first commemoration of Armistice Day.

I come from a family of military personnel. Every member of my immediate family growing up served in the military. My parents and all three of my brothers. I was the only one who never served. They served in the Korean War, Vietnam War, Gulf War and Dessert Storm.

Many, many, many of my uncles, cousins and nephews have served. Two of my son-in-laws have served. Every branch of military is covered in our family: Marines, Air Force, Navy, Army, Reserves. Two of my brothers are retired military and several of my uncles also made the military their career.

I have had many friends go into service and many of the boys from Boys Ranch that I consider 'my boys' have served.  I have mailed letters and care packages to my brothers and their friends.

When the movie American Sniper came out, Gary and I went to see it. I sat there and cried through the movie as I listened to words I had heard my own brother say regarding his service.

It has only been in the last couple of years that my oldest brother has shared with me about his time in the military during the Vietnam War. We have had many phone conversations where I sit on the phone and listen to him and cry with him as  he recounts stories.  I am certain I don't hear everything he needs to share but I am thankful that he does share.

Honoring them one day a year does not seem near enough to show our support of all they have done and the sacrifices they have made for our country and for us.

Here's to all veterans out there and to all the men and women who are still serving.



Top row -- my Dad - Eldon Power, my Mom - Katherine Kern Power, my uncle Harold Kern
Bottom Row -- my brother Wayne Corum, my brother Jerry (Bub) Power, my step-son Brian Houston



My son-in-law Perry Craglow.

I have no picture in uniform of my brother Steve Corum or of my son-in-law Michael Groves.

I have many more uncles who served but don't have pictures of them either. To every one of them and to all the others who have and are proudly serving the USA -- thank you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment