Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Ghoulish Meal

I know this is a little bit past Halloween but please cut me some slack.  We planned on having this meal last week for New Food Night. I made an unexpected trip out of town and we were not certain what time Tuesday I would be back so decided to postpone the meal for a week.  We aren't to far behind.  

So the theme was supposed to be Halloween themed food. No guidelines - just Halloween themed.  

This came about because Gary found something he JUST had to try.  A puking pumpkin.  





How cool, gross, disgusting, neat is this?  (Choose your own adjective here)

The brains of the pumpkin are a cheese dip and the barf is guacamole.  Serve with a generous portion of chips for dipping.

I found a recipe I thought I would make. Caterpillars.  They looked good. When I went to try and find the recipe again to double check that I knew what I was doing I was unable to find it  no matter what combination of words I used to search. So I just hoped I remembered correctly and that it would work.  



I simply took crescent rolls and dipped them in melted butter colored with green food dye. I wrapped this around a piece of mozzarella cheese and baked.  Now with the cheese kinda oozing out of some of these we thought they looked more pupa stage.  I think I coulda used a little more food dye or maybe left them in the butter longer.  


Miss Annette made us some  Mummy Dogs.  She also brought along some dipping sauces, a honey mustard sauce and a honey barbeque one.  


Now knowing that the other contributions were going to be a dessert type dish, we decided we should have some other type of food-food besides Mummy Dogs. So Gary made up a batch of chili. No special recipe just plain old chili.  

I was able to prevent a food catastrophe with this dish though. Gary asked me to 'taste' to see if it needed anything. I said I thought it needed a little more chili seasoning as I tasted tomato. He picked up a large spice container to add into the mixture. I asked, 'you're using cinnamon?"  Our cinnamon and chili seasoning containers are the same size and he had taken the cinnamon container out and set aside to get to the chili seasoning. 



Good stuff!

Now for dessert!  

Mr. Rick made a Halloween cake.  


This was a milk chocolate cake mix and I believe he said he added some orange and chocolate baking chips to the mix. The 'frosting' is candy corn and chocolate and orange baking chips Pure sugar overload!  WOW!  


K.C. made us some finger cookies


She said they didn't turn out quite as well as she wanted. When she put them on the sheet to bake she said they looked perfect!  They tasted awesome!  I told her we would call them arthritic finger cookies.

But wait - we are not yet done with dessert. We had someone new join us this week . Mr. Harrison joined us this week and he brought the best dessert of all -- BLUE BELL ICE CREAM!!




If you are not from Oklahoma this may not seem like such a big deal to you but here in Oklahoma it is. Blue Bell Ice Cream is made right here in Broken Arrow. They have  had all their plants shut down for several months and just recently re-opened. Blue Bell Ice Cream only hit the stores here in Tulsa on Monday!  Cause for celebration at our house (not by me as I don't really care for ice cream but it is a staple for Gary and apparently a lot of other people).  

Every Tuesday I say the same thing. "I ate to much". I try everything (yes even the desserts although I do usually try to limit that). And every week I end the meal thinking, I should have stopped before dessert or else taken smaller portions of everything.  

So there you have it. Our little bit delayed Halloween Themed New Food Night. What do you think?



\




\

No comments:

Post a Comment