Thursday, February 4, 2016

New Semester - New Stories




Well another semester of school is underway!

Wow what fun!  (Do you hear the sarcasm there?)

Now don't get me wrong, I really do want all our students to succeed. But if you don't use a little common sense and take on some initiative yourself; then I don't have a lot of sympathy for what you are experiencing.  



Just a few examples:  

1) Classes for the semester are scheduled to start on Monday. This has been know for several months.  Students who call the week prior to start of class and have yet even applied for admissions then get upset because their application has not gone through.  

Did it not ever occur to you that it takes a few days for things to process?  If you do not apply until 2 days prior to the start of class, there is a distinct possibility that you may not get everything done in time to take classes. I appreciate that you want to 'better yourself' but procrastinating on doing so is not to your benefit in this situation. 


2) "What do you  mean I am not enrolled in class?'  

Well it appears that you never attended a single class or did a single assignment the first two weeks of class so your instructor has withdrawn you from the class.  

"What?  What am I supposed to do now?"

Well your only option at this time is to contact the instructor. have you done that?

"No, but I will."

Same student calls back two days later and again gets me on the phone.  

"Yeah, my class isn't showing for me."

I once again look at account and advise that instructor has withdrawn him for non participation. I ask again if he has contacted the instructor. 

"No - maybe I better do that."

Yeah, maybe you better.  


3)  No, I cannot put you on any kind of wait list. If the class you want to take says it is full then it is full. You will not be able to enroll in it. No there is nothing you can do and there is nothing I can do. You will just have to find another class to take.  


4) No I'm sorry but I have no way of knowing when your financial aid will pay out to you. This is done in batches and there is no way of know what batch you are in. I am sorry that you were counting on receiving it in time to pay your rent (buy your takeout, buy gas for your car). 

If you do not turn in the paperwork that is needed, it takes longer for your financial aid to process. No I cannot do the paperwork for you nor can I expedite it once you do get all the proper forms turned in.  




I don't expect every student to be an Einstein but I would expect them to be responsible and accountable.  


There you have it - just a few stories from the first weeks of classes.  I'll update you later with more stories as the semester rolls on.  









No comments:

Post a Comment