Friday, June 17, 2016

Dear Dad

An open letter to my dad in heaven


Dear Dad,

I miss you.  

You've been gone for 33 years and I still miss you every day.  Some days more than others.  

I'm glad I had to chance to say good-bye and I love you.  I didn't get to with Mom.  

I want to say thanks for all you did for me and the boys when we were kids.  You taught us so much. Most importantly you taught me what a dad really is. You never made a difference between me or any of the boys and raised all of us with the same love and discipline. It really came as a shock to me when I left home and discovered that some step-kids were treated differently.  I never thought of my older brothers as 'steps'. They were and are my brothers. That's because you never thought of them as 'steps'.  They never refer to you as their step-dad either. You are and will always be their dad. Thanks for that - I wish more 'blended families' as they are called now would do the same.

Thanks for taking time to be with us. You went on bike rides with us - all of the family.  I remember the bike rides.  I remember you taking time to read out loud to us when we were little.  You taught me that it's important for a family to spend time together.  

Thanks for never treating me any differently just because I was the only girl in the family.  You taught me to fish and hunt. Bought me a gun and bow just like the boys. You taught me now to work on cars and it's good to know that if I wanted to I could change a tire or oil. That showed me that girls can do anything boys can and I should never just not try something because it's for boys. 

I'm sorry you had to miss so much of our lives.  I know you would have been a super fantastic to Grampa to my girls.  You would have joked with them and I just know that we would have seen you smile a lot when spending time with them.  I miss your smile.  

Thought I'd let you know that we are all doing well.  The boys and I don't live close to each other but we keep in touch.  I know that would be important to you.  Steve is in Michigan and doing well.  Wayne is in Pennsylvania. He has some health issues. I'm trying to talk him into moving closer to me so I can check on him better but he does have good friends and they let me know how he's doing if I haven't heard from him for a while.  Bub is in South Carolina and doing good too. With me in Oklahoma you can see why we don't get together.  I need to make a trip up to PA/MI area and see both boys up there. Here's a picture of Steve, Wayne, and I taken last time I was back to see them.  It's hard to believe that we are all older than you were when you left us. 



Love you, Dad -- hugs to you and mom.  


Kathie







No comments:

Post a Comment