Monday, January 23, 2017

Age is Relevant



My brother turned 66 a few days ago.

I thought to myself - 'Man he's really getting old - almost 70!"

Then I thought to myself -- "Man - I'm going to be 60 this year. I'm getting old!"

Funny thing is - I don't really feel old. There are times my body tells me that yes you are getting older. But in my head - nope - I'm not that old.

Now I have always said that anyone who lived to be in their sixties was old.  Any one who was past their mid-sixties was REALLY old.  My brother is getting to the REALLY old part.  But I don't think of either of us as old.

Then I think - "Wow - I have aunts and uncles still alive!  They must be ancient!"  No offense meant to them because they don't look as old as they must be considering how REALLY OLD my brother is.

I know I said I don't feel that old but I can say that my kids act like I am REALLY OLD.

     "Do you need help getting down the stairs?"
      'Don't try to lift that - it's to heavy for you."
     "You have no business thinking of riding a Seque!"
     "Want me to order for you? I know how confused you can get?"
     "You have no business driving that far by yourself."

Now I know they mean well and yes, I do sometimes have trouble with stairs. And in regards to the ordering - that was because there was a new restaurant with the menu on the wall and it was humongous. Those things do confuse me.  Heck - a menu that has more than two pages to choose from can confuse me.  I don't need that much to choose from.

Then I think about friends of mine whose parents are still alive!  I'm like WOW!  I can't fathom it!  Te me that's mind-blowing!  (Keep in mind my mother died at the age of 48 and my dad at the age of 51.)

Then I got to thinking about looks. Some people really look old!  And they may not be.  Now I happen to think that my family has some pretty good genes because my girls and I don't look that old.



This picture was taken 3 years ago. So I would have been 56 - making the girls 36-34-32 (yes contrary to what one or more of them may tell you they are in the thirties).  I think those girls look pretty darn good!



So tell me - what do you think of as old or REALLY OLD?








No comments:

Post a Comment