Monday, June 24, 2013

Resting

Rest:  freedom from activity or labor:   peace of mind or spirit.






The Bible speaks of rest several times.   "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28    Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!  I would fly away and be at rest.  Psalm 55:6  These are just a couple of references.       

Gary and I have been in a state of rest while searching for a church these last 6 months.  This has been a good thing.  We may not have known we needed the rest, but God did.  Have you ever noticed that when God is telling you something and you don't listen - He makes sure you listen.  Now, I am not saying we weren't listening to God.  We were slowing down and starting to curtail our responsibilities.  But obviously, God thought more was needed.  So he has given us this time of rest; and we have enjoyed it. 

One of the things I have missed about being involved in a church has been doing a Bible Study.  So I decided I didn't have to be part of a group to do a Bible Study.  I went and got a study and have started it.  Want to guess what it's about?  If you guessed rest - you would be correct.  I have not gotten to far in the study yet but am enjoying it. 

Now it  may seem kind of funny that I am doing a study on rest considering how many times I have made comments about my napping.  Napping is not the same as rest.  Napping may keep you going for a while but only real rest of the body and mind will suffice for long periods of time. 

Take time for yourself - slow down - remember:  you are not responsible for everything.  And in the case of the rest Gary and I have been getting the last few months; I know that God is just letting us rest up for the next phase he has in store for us.  This is something we both are looking forward to with great anticipation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment