Thursday, June 13, 2013

Home Remedies - Sayings

I am just full of all kinds of general knowldege and sayings.  Some people call them Old Wives Tales.  Gary usually laughs when I bring up one of these tidbits of knowledge.  I thought I should share a few of these with you. 

I know that Spring is over (if it was ever really here or anywhere).  One of the great pleasures of Spring is mushroom hunting - in Northwest Missouri anyway.  Oh, how I love fresh morel mushrooms.  Piece of advice #1: don't even bother looking until the May Apples are up.  Yep, that's when you know to go mushroom hunting.  And if that hunt covers you in poison ivy (maybe this only happens to me) - go home and take a bleach bath.  Yes, you heard me right.  Put bleach in your bath water and soak in it.  Or put bleach on a washcloth and wash the area.  The bleach advise is #2.

Ever twist your ankle and have it swell?  Piece of advise #3:  take a brown paper bag and soak it in warm vinegar.  Place this over the swollen area to help reduce swelling.  I kow this sounds stupid but trust me - it does work.  I have used this remedy on myself. 

Love the winter and the snow?  Don't love the snow?  Want to know how much snow you are going to get? Prepare yourselves for two pieces of advise on this information.  #4 - whatever day of the month you get the first tracking snow on will indicate the number of snowfalls you will have that winter.  I typically hope our tracking snow does not come until at least the 15th of the month.  Nothing sadder than to have it on the 2nd or 3rd and know that you won't be getting much snow that winter :(  Very sad for kids and "older" kids.  Another indicator of how hard the winter will be - piece of advise #5.  Take a persimmon and open it up.  If the seed is in the shape of a spoon it means you will be shoveling a lot of snow that winter.  If it looks like a fork - not so much. 

I think everyone knows advice #6 -- wooly worms are an indicator of whether it will be a long winter or not.  If they are all black - prepare for a mild winter.  Basically the more black the less severe the weather.  Guess the lighter color is designed to blend in with the surroundings so you won't be stepping on any of those wolly worms in the snow.  

Kitchen advise?  Yep, I've got that too.  #7 --- if you have a pan that has spent to much time in the oven and gets to looking nasty; sprinkle some baking soda on it.  If the pan is real bad let it soak for a while, otherwise just scrub as usual.  It help shine those cookie sheets and bottoms of cooking pans back up.  

And that is not all baking soda can do.  Piece of advise #8 - want beans for lunch but dont' think you have time to cook them?  Put a pinch of baking soda in with your beans and they will cook faster.  Added bonus?  It will help alleviate the gas issue from eating those beans for lunch.  

Stung by a bee?  Dont worry - bring into play advise #9 and grab the box of baking soda again.  Make a paste with baking soda and water and put on the sting. 

Let's have one more from the kitchen before we stop.  #10 - kids have a habit of falling and bruising themselves.  Some kids are more accident prone than others.  If you have a child who is constantly covered in bruises and you worry about someone calling DHS.  Grab the vanilla as soon as they hit their head, arm, etc.  Dab some vanilla on the spot and it will not bruise.  I have used this one of my grandchidlren when he was very small.  It works plus he smelled yummy.  LOL 

Oh - I've just got to include this one.  #11 (and I promise I will stop here).  Have a splinter or piece of glass in your finger or foot that you just cannot dig out?  Put a piece of fatty bacon over it, wrap it up and go to bed.  Next morning the bacon will have drawn the offending object out of your skin.  I know this one works as there was many a night as a child I went to bed with bacon wrapped around my foot. Why didn't my parents insist I wear shoes? And a little research shows that you can now buy Bacon Bandages.  Unreal.   I think I will stick with a piece of bacon if needed. 




No comments:

Post a Comment