Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Fathers Day

What makes a dad?  It's not just the fact that you made a baby. No - that doesn't make you a dad. It's taking responsibility for that child (or children) that you created. There are many fathers out there who aren't really dads.  In the same vein there are many men out there who are great dads even though they never fathered a child.  

To the men who take on the task of raising someone else's child - Thank you!  I was raised with three brothers.  My mom had two boys before she and my dad married. I can honestly say that my dad never made a difference in the way he treated any of us and I never thought anything of it.  We were a family.  It wasn't until I moved out and away to another town that I realized not every father treated step-children as their own.  What an eye-opener that was for me. So I want to say Thanks, Dad!  Thanks for teaching me that we are all the same and for not making a difference in any of us.  We were all yours.  

To my husband, Gary.  Thank you!  You unquestioningly took on three teen-age daughters who gave you a lot of grief.  You showed them love and have supported them in every endeavor they have chosen.  You have guided them, counseled them and loved them unconditionally. You then took on the task with me of raising two more children whom we adopted. You have shown all five of our children what it means to be a dad and a father. You have given of yourself and your influence is seen in our children. Thank you for showing them what a Godly man is like and for being there for each and every one of them.

For my sons-in-law Perry and Michael - Thank you!  Thank you for stepping up and being a father to my grandchildren. Thank you for investing time in them and teaching them, guiding them and loving them.  I know the role of a step-parent is not easy but you willingly took on the task without any hesitation. 

To my father-in-law Red - Thank you! Thank you for raising your son to be Godly man and showing him what it is to be a father. To be supportive, loving, giving, honest, respectable (and respected). Without your love and guidance as a child himself he would not be the man he is today.  

Happy Father's Day to the father's in my live!  


No comments:

Post a Comment