Thursday, May 14, 2015

Couple of Favorite Foods

New Food Night!  We choose last week to have Monte Cristo sandwiches and French Onion Soup this week. These are two of my favorite things to eat when I can find them on a menu. I was looking forward to the meal. Now, it has been raining here for the past month. That's a lot of rain for Oklahoma. A. Lot. Of. Rain. I don't have my pool up yet, Ground is saturated. You get the idea. It also means that when New Food Night rolled around it was a cooler day than normal for this time of year. Perfect soup and sandwich weather.

French Onion Soup.

Oh this is so good! I don't like to eat soup out and don't very often. I have pretty definite ideas of how the soup should taste and it usually does not live up to my expectations. Except for French Onion Soup.  There is just something about all that melted cheese and the onions and the croutons or bread that is in it.  It screams my name!

Miss Annette made the soup base and brought it to our house to finish up the cheesy crouton part of it.



The base itself consisted of beef broth, butter, flour, onions, water, wine, Worchesterhire sauce, and of course onions.  Is your mouth watering yet?  She put some French bread croutons in the bottom of the soup bowls, ladled the broth over them and then topped with cheese. This was then put in the oven for the cheese to melt.

How good does this look?



I wish you could smell this through the blog. My mouth was watering from smelling this as we bowed our heads in prayer.


Look at that melted cheese.

And then we paired it with Monte Cristo sandwiches.  I LOVE these things!.  You can't always find them on the menu but if it is there, I usually order it.

Take a 'hearty' bread and spread generously with a dijon mayo type spread. Add some ham slices and cheese.  Gary used a Provolone cheese.






This is then dipped in an egg mixture and fried.



Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. (Be certain that you are using powdered sugar not flour. These two ingredients can and have been mistaken previously). 





Wow!!  Was this ever a good meal.

But wait!  We aren't done yet. We had dessert also. Mr. Rick brought over a vanilla Bundt cake with strawberry frosting.





What a great spring like cake. And it was soooo good.  Are you hungry yet?  If not I'm not sure why not.

There you have it. A couple of my favorite foods.  And what a combination they made.  Any one have a food challenge for us? Or maybe a favorite food you like but haven't made because you aren't sure how it will turn out?  Let me know. We are always up for the challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment