Friday, May 29, 2015

Kathie Cooks!!!

Wow - I tell you - work and painting has kept me busy.  It's hard to get some blog time in.  I know I missed blogging about last week's New Food Night (think I will keep that as a draft for a while in case I let time get away from me again). Let me tell you about this week's New Food Night.

Last week before Rick came over I was looking on Pinterest trying to find something that looked good that was actually food. I tend to pin a lot of appetizers and breads and such.  I saw Chicken Bacon Lasagne Rolls.  Gary decided that since I chose that I could do the cooking!

WHAT!???  Me cook?  Well, okay - I can I just don't usually. I'm up for the task though, so let me tell you about our menu.

Since I was cooking I left setting the table up to Gary.  Don't you like our colorful table?  He used what I refer to as our 'sideboard' plates. You can fill these up and we always use them at Thanksgiving.


Mr. Rick was responsible for a salad.  He outdid himself when he brought over the makings for a salad bar!  Man - this was almost a meal in itself.  I love salads like this.


We had some iceberg lettuce, some fresh spinach, fresh mushrooms, green onions, carrots, slivered almonds, bacon bits, croutons. Man I hope I didn't miss anything here.  Don't you love a great salad like that?  He also brought some fresh fruit.




Now for the Chicken Bacon Lasagna Rolls.  I cooked up some chicken then shredded it into pieces. (We had enough left over for Gary and I to have Chicken Nachos later in the week). The filling consisted of sour cream, ricotta cheese, cream cheese, onion powder salt and pepper. Here are some of the ingredients for tonight's meal.



Take a pound of bacon and cook up. Gary prepared our bacon the night before so when it was time I took the bacon and chopped it up in pieces. I put this in a pan and added some diced onion and minced garlic to pan. I then heated up the bacon and cooked until the onions were tender.

There was also a Parmesan Cheese sauce. This consisted of butter and cream cheese melted with some heavy whipping cream. After this was melted and thickened up some I added half and half and continued to cook until thickened. Then I added parmesan cheese and fresh shredded mozarella.

While that was cooking I cooked some lasagna noodles in boiling water. I cooked them until not quite done, The recipe said two minutes less than cooking time. I hardly ever time anything when I cook so I just cooked them until I was almost ready to use them. I then drained them in colander and laid them on a paper towel to drain. Note to anyone wanting to try recipe - the noodles are very hot. Use tongs to remove them from the strainer.

Now for the assembly part of the process.  I took some of the Parmesan Cheese mixture and covered the bottom of the baking dish. (I am so glad that Gary got that new baking dish for his birthday. It has come in very handy). Divide the filling mixture among the noodles. Top this with the shredded chicken, then the bacon/onion mixture. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over this.



Roll up the noodles and place in pan seam side down. Pour the remainder of the Parmesan Cheese sauce over the lasagna rolls and sprinkle the rest of the bacon/onion mixture over this. Top with grated mozzarella cheese and bake in over for about 30 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.


Man was this good!  Yep - I do know how to cook when I need to.

What do you have with lasagna? Well Garlic Toast of course!  Gary fixed some Cheesy Garlic Toast. Good stuff.



Miss Annette brought over dessert. She brought over chocolate covered creme puffs. One of my favorites!



There you have it. Our new food for the week and the opportunity to see that I can cook.  Aren't you wishing you had asked for a reservation at our table?

What do you want us try?  Give us some ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment