Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Bible Journaling


A cup of coffee and the Bible. What else do you need?

I'm preparing to start a Bible Study for some ladies at my church. In preparation for this I've been doing some research online.

My research involves checking online through Google and Lifeway. Reviewing different studies to do. Looking up hints on how to lead a study, different tools and techniques to use. I also use Pinterest for research. I have a study in mind for myself that I want to do and also one I think I will be doing with the ladies.

In my research I start seeing all this information for Bible Journaling. I'm seeing posts on Facebook of people who have gotten themselves a specific bible to use for this.

I'm thinking, I better research this some more. I may need to get a new bible so I can do bible journaling.

This is what bible journaling looks like.




You can buy special pens, tapes, etc. for journaling in your bible.



I research like crazy on Amazon, Pinterest, and Google.

I come to the conclusion that I have been bible journaling forever. I just didn't know it.

My journaling is not quite up to the standards being used today. I don't draw pictures or use special pens.

I do however 'mark up' my bible.

I underline specific phrases.

I highlight verses.

I make notes in the margin.

On blank pages I write phrases I want to remember. These may be specific bible verses I want to remember. It may be something that came into my head as I'm listening to a sermon. It may be something the pastor said during the sermon. It may be something I read in my research that I want to remember.

This is what my work bible looks like.





Yes, I said work bible. I keep a Bible on my desk at work. I have done this since we moved to Tulsa almost 12 years ago. I reference it, I read it, and I have shared it with co-workers.

I have a bible at home that I use for my studies at home and that I take to church.

I have bibles in my closet that I have journaled in. I had to replace them as the covers became worn and pages brittle and torn.

But one thing they all have in common is - I have journaled in all of them.

Bible journaling is not new. But the act of doing it is. It is more advanced than what I do. I am not artistic at all.

Bottom line here is - don't be afraid to journal in your bible. It doesn't have to look like what you might find on the internet. You don't have to have special materials. You don't need a special bible (although I can see that the bible designed for journaling is nice as you have more room to write). The important thing is just do it!

Highlight away those verses that grab you.

Circle those words that speak to you in a passage.

Underline what catches your eye.

Write in the margins what the verse says to you. Apply it to your life.

Let me know how it works for you.

3 comments:

  1. I've worn Bibles out from journaling and have had to start from scratch. Nowadays I use my Bible app and load it with note upon note. It's not the same but it's more organized - and I refer to my notes and highlights often.

    Good stuff, journaling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks -- I have the Bible app on my phone but don't really use it for journaling

      Delete
  2. I've worn Bibles out from journaling and have had to start from scratch. Nowadays I use my Bible app and load it with note upon note. It's not the same but it's more organized - and I refer to my notes and highlights often.

    Good stuff, journaling.

    ReplyDelete