Thursday, October 1, 2015

Grandson Memories

You ever have times where someone is on your mind? Thoughts of them keep popping up in your head for no reason?

It could be a childhood friend you haven't seen for years.

Maybe a cousin you have always been close to.

Maybe a parent whom you've lost.

For whatever reason, thoughts of them keep popping up in your head. Well, mine has been my oldest grandson. Don't know why but for the past several weeks he is just always in my head.

This is one of my favorite pictures of the two of us.



Here's a picture of the two of us earlier this year.



I've written poems for all my grandchildren and keep them in a book along with papers they have sent me or notes they write.

Here's a few pictures of Richard's book.







Each grandchild has their own book. Now some have more in it than others depending how many things they have sent me.

I was looking through Richard's  book and came across this poem I wrote one time after a visit to their house. I had flown out and was scheduled to take a mid-morning flight back home. My grandson was about six at the time.  We were spending the morning in his room doing one of his favorite things at that time -- making a tent.


                                                             RICHARD'S TENT

                                         "We make a great team," my grandson said
                                               As he fashioned a tent there on his bed.
                                    He worked and worked to get the blankets just right,
                                            Wanting to hide us from everyone in sight.

                                                I sat on the bed and read my book,
                                                   Every so often he'd take a look.
                                       Where there any gaps where people might see?
                                            We wanted to hide, my grandson and me.

                                                      Adjust the blankets once again,
                                                        Must not let any light get in.
                                                He got in the tent and beside me sat
                                               'Till he saw light and had to fix that.

                                            "We can move to the other end," I said;
                                           And quickly moved to the end of the bed.
                                         He worked some more and tried once again.
                                            When all of of a sudden Tom walked in!

                                   "Why aren't you with Grandma?" I heard him say,
                                              "You know she has to go home today."
                                                  Then from inside the tent I spoke.
                                                Richard thought it was quite a joke.

                                             The tent Richard made had hidden me,
                                                   And inside it no one could see.
                                             Tom left the room and then once more.
                                    "We made a great team," my grandson did roar.

Written for Richard
By Grandma (Kathie Marrs)
       June 6, 2001



No comments:

Post a Comment