Friday, March 29, 2013

Spring Break Thoughts

I recently had Spring Break.  I was fortunate enough to be able to start my Spring Break a day early and end it a day late.  I did this just because I wanted to and because I could.  I'm very fortunate that way with my work. 

I had a great Spring Break.  Gary and I met his parents in Branson for the weekend and had a great time.  Then I headed out to Phoenix to see the kids and grand kids out there.  These are just a few of thoughts I have brought back from my Spring Break Vacation.

Gary and I left on Friday to head to Branson.  We were not in any hurry as the drive is not long and we didn't need to be there until afternoon.  So we took our time and meandered though Arkansas just enjoying the scenery.  It occurred to me that this is something we have not had much time to do - just take time for ourselves.  I had 4 girls living at home when we got married.  Gary's parents would take the girls for the weekend, but we still did not have a lot of time for just us.  We will be married 19 years in October and it's just been in the last year that we have started taking time for "us".  I like it. 

We had a great time in Branson.  Got to see some of my cousins I hadn't seen in way to long.  How do we let the time go by?  We need to get together more often.  I discovered that we all may be cousins and had the same uncles and grandparents but for some reason - we don't all remember things the same.  I do believe that if 3 of the 4 cousins remember something the 4th one should just go with the flow and not call Mom to make sure he's correct. 

Also discovered that all kids like to pick noses.  No surprise here.  The reason I bring this up is that I actually have a nose picker app on my phone.  Downloaded for the grand kids but it sure is fun for adults too.  You can pull out things such as jelly fish, planes, buses, crayons, stars -- the list goes on and on.  Anytime I pull that app up and put it in a kids hands they love it.  Even complete strangers during intermission at the show in Branson. 

After 3 days in Branson, I came home, did laundry and repacked to head out to Phoenix the next morning.  It's a long drive.  Chris will never be a good traveling companion.  That's why I debated whether I would ask him to go with me and I ended up asking him just because.  He does nothing but sleep in the car.  It's like riding with a corpse.  Oh well, I listened to Stephen King book on tape and stopped whenever I wanted.  He would wake up when I stopped.  5 minutes back on the road and he would be asleep again. 

I discovered that a mother is always a mother.  No surprise there, though.  We got in Phoenix on Tuesday and that evening we drove up to Charlie's place of business - Booty's Wings, Burgers, and Beer.  Great burgers if you are ever out that way make the detour to Surprise, Arizona and tell them Charlie's mom sent you.  Charlie was behind the bar that night.  We were setting at a table next to the bar.  Even though there were 6 of us at our table talking I could not help but overhear the conversation the gentlemen at the end of the bar were having with Charlie.  Now granted I probably just caught bits and pieces of the conversation.  However, when I heard "we have a room.  It's a drive up motel"; as a mother, I felt it necessary to step up to the bar and intervene into the conversation just to make certain they weren't trying to take advantage of my girl.  No worries - all was fine. 

I learned that there is a PS3 game that I can whoop up on the grandsons with!  This is a very important discovery as these 2 boys (now aged 9) always stomp me on the video games.  They take great delight in telling me what a loser I am and how I don't play very well.  We went to Game Stop and one of them bought a new fighting game - I thinks it's Fight 5 or something like that.  When we got home they immediately asked if I would play it.  Of course, I said yes.  And guess what?  I OWN THAT GAME!!  Yep, I beat them.  They said, "Wow, Grandma.  You're really good at this game."  Must be because of the fact that I had 3 brothers I know how to fight.  LOL 

Also found a couple of more toys I need to get.  Well, perhaps I don't need but I think they would be kinda nice to have.  That's another thing I've discovered.  Now that I'm an adult I can have toys and play with them and truly enjoy them.  I have my Bey Blade Dome arena with Bey Blades - love this game.  I have my tops.  I also have my bean racers (bean like characters with painted faces that race down a slope).  I now need the flying helicopter/jeep (way to expensive for me though) and perhaps one of those nerf revolver type guns that come in packs of three and will clip to your belt.  That sure looks like fun.  The boys in Arizona used to call me "little Grandma" because they think I'm short (I'm taller than them).  They now call me "toy Grandma" because I'm always finding new toys I want. 

One of the best things I learned was that grand kids never get to old to give you hugs for no reason!  This was one of the nicest things I learned.  It's a nice feeling for your 17 year old grandson to come up and say, "Grandma, have I hugged you today?"  and then give you a great big hug. 

So Spring Break is over, I am back to work, and you can now enjoy my Blog again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment