Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lesson From Momma

My momma taught me to be polite.  I try to be. 

Being polite means I listen.  I listen to the elderly staff, instructor who does not remember how they are supposed to log into the computer and have to call me every week because they have forgotten their password.  I listen to the elderly instructor who calls weekly because he does not remember what I told him last week.  They are most likely lonely and just need someone to talk to.  I listen

At my old job with the Lawn Care company. I listened to the person whom I called to advise that my technician was on his way to treat her lawn.  I listened to her health concerns and the fact that she had just moved to Tulsa and didn't know anyone here and was just diagnosed with cancer.  I listened - I remembered and next time I talked to her I asked how she was doing. 

I listen to the student who calls almost in tears because they are unable to sign up for a class because they don't remember their password and are unable to answer their security questions.  I listen to the student who is failing his class because his mother changed his password but forgot to tell him and now he cannot access his course and he has a test that needs to be taken today because it is worth 50% of his grade. 

My momma taught me to be polite.  I say please and thank you.  I call older people sir or ma'am.  I use Mr., Mrs. or Ms. when addressing someone.  I try not to interrupt when someone is talking.  And again -- I listen. 

Yes, my momma taught me to be polite.  That is why when a student calls saying that she has clicked on Forgot Pin and nothing happens I ask:  Did you type in your CWID BEFORE you clicked on forgot PIN?  More times than I care to mention the answer is: No, should I do that?  I am polite -- I say: yes, that is the only way the system will know what account it needs to find the security questions for.  I do not say:  How on earth have you  managed to survive as long as you have? 

Momma taught me to be polite.  That is why when a student calls and attempts to answer their security questions of:  What school did you attend for 6th grade?  They respond I was home schooled I'm not sure what I put:  I will try home schooled I will try home I will try whatever you think you put for the answer.  Then when your next question is What street did you live on in third grade and your answer is aspen avenue and you spell it aspn avnu I do not respond:  How well did that home schooling work out for you?  (And I mean no disrespect to Mom's who home-school  I know several and you all rock!!)

Momma taught me to be polite.  That is why when  you call to have your PIN reset and I ask the question:  My boyfriends name.  Your response of:  that stupid SOB! He ain't my boyfriend any more. I broke up with him over a year ago because he's so lazy and won't get a job.  He still lives here in my house but he sure ain't my boyfriend no more.  I do not say:  really, how smart is it that you broke up with him and kicked him out but yet he still lives with you?   

Momma taught me to be polite.  That is why when you call me with problems with your computer I will attempt to explain how to do something.  When you spend 20 minutes telling me that you are unable to do this and you cannot find simple programs or sites on your computer I listen.  When I attempt to advise you to go to the control panel to do something and you tell me that you are unable to access your control panel because your ex son-in-law built your computer and did not give you access to the control panel, I listen.  I do not say anything like:  well, what a stupid moron you are!  What is wrong with you? 

And when the stupidest person on the planet calls me 4 times in one day to go over the same thing and takes at least 15 minutes every time they call, I listen.  I do not say: It would probably be advisable for you to drop this class and drop out of college.  With the problems you are having today there is no way on earth you will ever be able to pass the computer class you have signed up for.  Erase our number from your phone you do not have the mentality needed for this class. 

Yep, I listen.  I may vent my frustration here in my blog or on Facebook or to my family but always remember:  Momma taught me to be polite -- I listen

No comments:

Post a Comment