Friday, August 23, 2013

Mom-isms

Ever have your mom tell you 'be sure you have on clean underwear in case you are in an accident'?   Really, if I'm in an accident and the first thing the Paramedics notice is that I have dirty underwear it must mean that my injuries are not to bad.  How about, 'don't cross your eyes they're gonna freeze like that'?  I never told my kids this. I crossed my eyes and they never froze. I still cross my eyes on occassion.  I would be more apt to say, 'don't cross you eyes - it looks freaky.' 
 
I'm sure you can think of other mom-isms you have heard or even used yourself.  This was brought to my mind a while back after my grandson had hurt himself.  He had stepped on a piece of glass and his mom and dad had checked to be sure there was no glass in it.  All appeared fine until about 4 days later when he was at football practice and kept telling his mother that his foot hurt and he was limping.  She told him to just suck it up and go practice.  After getting him home she looked at his foot and it was not a pretty sight.  The next day she took him to the doctor.  They had to drain his foot - he had an infection 

Of course as he is telling me about his foot he said 'can you believe she told me to just suck it up?'  Me: 'yeah, I would have too.  They already checked it and didn't find any glass."  Grandson: 'then how did it get infected?' Me: 'You have dirty stinky feet.  They  sweat and dirt got in the cut.' 

This brought to mind a few incidents from my children as they were growing up.  This grandson's mother came to me one morning before school and told me it hurt to breathe.  Now, I have never been one to show much sympathy to my kids as it tends to make every incident worse.  My response to her?  "Don't breathe!".   Sounds like good advice until you end up at the ER later because she has pneumonia.  Yep, she went to the nurse at school. Nurse called and said she needed to go to Doctor, Doctor sends her to ER she has pneumonia.  Way to go Kathie!

Another example. Your kids go around with their shoes untied.  I was constantly telling mine, 'If you fall and break your arm tripping on your shoelace, don't come to me.  I won't take you to the doctor.'  Well, one Wednesday night after church my son comes up and says, 'my arm  sure does hurts.'  I look and it's swollen huge!  We take him to ER and the nurse is asking have you hurt yourself? Did you fall?  He says, 'I fell'.  Nurse says what did you fall on?  My son, sheepishly without looking at me replies, 'I tripped on my shoelace and fell on my arm.'  Yep, it is possible to break your arm if you trip on your shoelace. 

One more example.  How many times have your kids taken the pop top on a can and bent it back and forth or even just bent the can itself.  Well, my daughter loved to do this.  I told her, 'don't come to me when you cut yourself and need stitches.'   Well, one night she comes down from upstairs her hand dripping blood.  She says, 'I can't get it to stop.'  Yes, she cut her finger and in an attempt to not let me know that I was right she went to the bathroom and stuck her finger in the bottle of peroxide.  Yep, you guessed it, it foamed up everywhere.  Ruined the whole bottle too.  We almost  went to ER, actually drove there but we got it to stop bleeding so no stitches that time. 

For the record, the same daughter had the breathing problem also was the one who cut her finger.  And it was her son who cut his foot.  Guess he comes by it naturally doesn't he?  

How about it - do you have mom-isms that you tell your kids? 

No comments:

Post a Comment