Sunday, August 4, 2013

Childhood Friends

Childhood friends - who do you think of?  I tend to think of my childhood friends in different categories.  There are my friends from school.  I enjoyed many good times with them growing up.  There are my brothers.  I was the only girl in the family and I always thought of my brothers as my friends - I still do.  I spent a lot of time with my brothers so I considered their friends my friends too.  Then there are my cousins. 

 

Yes, I spent a lot of time with my cousins and enjoyed every minute of it.  I was lucky enough to live next door to cousins from my mothers side.  I was always a little bit jealous because their dynamic was the exact opposite of ours.  We had 3 boys 1 girl -- they had 3 girls 1 boy.  The girl cousins were my substitute sisters. 

I also lived close enough to my dad's side of the family that we could spend weekends with my cousins on that side.  I remember those times as being so much fun.  First off, their mothers didn't work like mine did.  What a unique experience for me to have your mom (aunt) home all day long.  So depending on which set of cousins we were spending the weekend with we would spend our time riding horses, playing in Grandma Edith's playhouse (not my Grandma - their other Grandma) maybe playing in the barn, riding bikes around town and just overall having tons of fun.  In the fall we would go to Calamity Jane Days with them in Princeton.  That was always fun too.

Then we all grew up and started our adult lives.  We moved to different states, got married - had kids of our own.  When I moved back to my 'Home' town of Bethany (Mount Moriah) I moved close to my friend cousins again.  And they were still my friends.  We went shopping, to movies, they helped me with my girls and were exactly what one would expect from a friend.

This past weekend I said good-bye to one of cousins.  She isn't the first one of my cousins to pass away.  On my mom's side I've lost a male cousin.  On dad's side Anita is the 3rd one I've lost.  It's not easy to lose someone you grew up with, laughed with, cried with, played with, shared dreams, disappointments and joys with.  I have many fond memories of times spent with her as a child and as an adult.  I will certainly miss her but I know I will see her again one day.  For now I hope she is enjoying her time with Granny Lake, Pop Edgar, my mom and dad, Uncle Ken, Aunt Virginia,  and our cousins Marcus and C.L.


No comments:

Post a Comment