Thursday, September 5, 2013

Advice for Students

I think I have probably mentioned on here that I work at the IT Service Desk for our local College.  We started Fall Semester about 3 weeks ago and after the calls I have taken the last few weeks I thought it would be a good idea to put this out there.


To students calling the IT Service Desk please take note.  

It is wise to memorize your College Wide ID (CWID) number.  If you are unable to remember this, then please write it down and keep it with you at all times.  Anytime you call for assistance, this number is needed.  Not to mention that you will need this number yourself to access different programs associated with your college education - most specifically the classes you take. 

If you call for assistance, it is probably wise to be in front of a computer at the time of the call.  This will make it much easier for you to log into the program we are trying to assist you with.  If you are in your car it is a little bit difficult to assist you to log onto a computer. 

Please note:  the big blue screen you are looking at is called a computer.  I will ask what you are trying to log into so I can be certain that I am giving you the correct log in information and I ask: What are you trying to log into?  The correct answer would be:  The computers on campus.  

If I ask: Have you logged onto a computer on campus - do not respond: I can log into TED and Blackboard.  Neither one of these have anything to do with the computer log on (the Big Blue Screen).   And the Big Blue Screen is not know as logging onto our homepage.  The homepage itself does not require any type of log in. 

If you are calling for assistance, please take the time to listen to what I am saying.  Do not ask me how to log in then proceed to tell me that you have three children, you walked two miles to work when you were pregnant and your children all came early, your mother is helping you pay for your classes and you want to get logged onto the computer so you can check your account balance and you know how to log into TED and Blackboard but your instructor said you have to log onto the computer also and you want to be certain that you know how to do everything because your mom is helping pay for your classes and you want to do this right (all said in one breath while also talking to the students in the hallway beside you).  There is no way you can hear anything I am saying if you do not close your mouth and LISTEN.

Please remember that you called me for assistance.  This is my job - helping people log into their email, the computer, TED and Blackboard.  I know what the log in should be and the parameters that are required for each log in.  You may think you are "special" and have a "different log in" but trust me - you probably don't. 

Yes, you are correct, I am able to help you log into your email.  Your college email!  I cannot reset your password for Yahoo, Cox or any other email account you may have.  Yes, I can help you log onto the computer.  The computer on campus!  I cannot help you log into your own computer.  No, I do not know what your password is or how you have set your computer up.  I can give you generic advise on your computer but I cannot touch your computer nor send one of my technicians to touch your computer. 

If you call because you need your PIN reset or you do not know your CWID be aware that you will have to verify the answers to security questions you have set up.  It is wise to set these up yourself and not have your mother, girlfriend or boyfriend do so for you.  If you do not know the answers I will not be able to help you.  It is important to remember exactly how you entered your answers.  I cannot see the answers and can only type in what you tell me and see if it verifies.  Typing in "stupid" answers because you are feeling silly isn't so smart six months later when you don't remember what you answered.  If your mother set up your questions, you may not know her best friend's name.  If your question is: in what city was your mother born - it is probably wise to answer it with the city in which she was born.  Telling me that she was born in Tulsa but you probably  entered Ponca City or even New York isn't going to help unless you actually did enter Ponca City or New York. It also is not wise to use what is my girlfriend's name as a security question.  Especially if you call me a year later wanting your PIN reset and you 'don't remember who you were dating when you set up your questions. 

If you cannot answer your security questions please do not get upset with me.  It doesn't matter if your instructors know you or if everyone in DHS knows you or that you have run your own daycare business for 25 years and everyone in Tulsa knows you.  Unless you can answer those questions - to me you are unknown. 

And again -- please take the time to listen to me.  You called me for assistance.  I can only help if you will listen and do as I say. 


No comments:

Post a Comment