Saturday, September 28, 2013

Football Thoughts

Anyone who knows me very well knows that I am not a big sports person.  Don't get me wrong.  I know the game - understand a lot more of it than people realize.  I just don't get into it.  Well, that's not quite true.  I love the game of football if I am playing it!  And I even enjoy watching the game when I actually have a connection with someone who is playing.  I just don't get into watching a bunch of people whom I don't even know play.  

My best bud is playing football this year and I have been going to his games. His team is now in first place after beating the team who had not been beat all season!  This morning while watching I came to a few conclusions about the game and some guidelines people should follow at games.

First off!!  No cow bells!!!! Sorry - but that is just plain annoying!  And who in their right minds wants to hear that being jangled incessantly after each play?  Certainly not me.  If you must bring a cow bell to the game (and if you are the only one who had the audacity to do so) then please - don't bring it up into the stands.  Stay on the ground by the side of the fence.  You will have a better view of the action there too.  

Cheerleaders - they are super annoying.  Don't get me wrong. I know they work hard and they do a great job.  But how in the world can you listen to the announcer if the cheerleaders are constantly doing cheers?  You can't understand what they are saying and if you are trying to watch them then you can't pay any attention to the game.  Yep, I think cheerleaders should only be cheering at specific times - and those times should not be during the playing time of the team.  Again -- I know cheerleaders work hard and practice long hours but they do tend to get in the way of the actual game. It's kind of hard to concentrate on them and the game at the same time.  So perhaps they should give them a pre-game time to cheer for their team in addition to their half-time entertainment. 

Cutesy names for the players are also just plain stupid.  I'm sorry but if you have a pet name for your son that you use at home perhaps that name should be kept at home among family.  Hollering for "Honey Badger" on the field just sounds plain dumb!  I can imagine the opposing team making wise-cracks to each other and I hate to think about what might be said to this kid out on the field. 

Players who go down on the field should have a reason for staying down.  If you tackle a player and take him down and he gets up while you stay down for another 2-3 minutes causing the clock to stop and coaches and refs to circle around you then you better be hurt.  Don't just lay there all that time then get up and run off the field!  If you are down that long someone better  be helping you off the field because you are hurt.  I'm not saying you have to have broken bones or anything but if you are well enough to run off the field then you shouldn't have wasted every one's time while you laid on the field.  You should have jumped right up after that play and got right back in the game. 

And why in the world would anyone ever choose the color white to be any part of a football uniform?  This is not an uncommon color to have and it's usually the pants that are white.  Seriously, you know these kids are going to be on the ground the majority of the game.  Why choose a color that attracts dirt and grass stains?  And why don't you ask someone before you actually choose those colors?  If I do not have a personal connection to a team I am going to root for the one whose colors look best together. 

Now at this morning's game they called a rain delay at half-time.  After restarting the game an hour later and watching those boys on the field I kept thinking how much fun they must be having.  The field all wet and muddy - the ball slippery, what fun!  Yes, that's right, fun!  I remember playing some football in those conditions with my brothers and it was fun.  I was wishing I could be out there with them.  Then I remembered my knee replacement and my splinted wrist and thought maybe it wouldn't be as much fun as I thought.  But if my Bud asked me to go play football with him you can bet I would give it a try

No comments:

Post a Comment