Thursday, May 29, 2014

Winnning Hand

Every week we get together and have Family Game Night.  K.C., Michael and the kids come over.  Sometimes Brian joins us.  We used to do this on Wednesday nights and then watch Duck Dynasty.  We have switched to Thursday nights now. Typically the adults play for a while then we call the kids in and everyone plays a kid-friendly game before calling it a night. 

We play anything from cards to board games. And anyone who knows us knows that we have a LOT of board games.  Gary's favorite is Pictionary but K.C. and I usually veto that one. A few weeks ago we pulled out the poker chips (of which I have a lot) and cards and started playing poker.  I'm not sure Brian had ever played before but he is catching on.  Last week we were not sure that Michael knew what two pair was.  

Typically, Gary has good winning hands and K.C. usually does very well at poker.  Tonight I threw them all a curve-ball and played seven card stud - Dr. Pepper.  (I know that some of you will know what this is).  After explaining that this meant tens, twos and fours were wild (they used to be on the old Dr. Pepper bottles - hence the name), we commenced to play.  

 Here we have Michael counting up some of his winnings.

And here we have K.C. dealing out what I hope to be a winning hand.





Pretty good hand and I bet pretty high on it.  Didn't win though.

 K.C. finally won a hand.



 Called the kids in to join us.  

Now tonight Michael was doing pretty good at poker and he said he wanted to see a blog about game night, maybe a poem.  So he gets both.  This is for you Michael




WINNING HAND

He thinks he’s a winner but don’t you know
The winnings tonight are only for show.

Every week we get together to play a game or two
And lately it’s poker with chips white red and blue

Dealer’s choice is the game and stakes keep mounting
But the chips you win you shouldn’t be counting.

Five card draw or seven card stud; King showing high
I look at my hand and give a big sigh.

Ante up each hand and try to keep track
Who bid what and how many cards kept back?

Was anything wild? One-eyed Jacks you say?
I’ll take two cards send them my way.

 Tonight Michael held winning hands
And his winnings were becoming quite grand.

Not always the case for him you see
And he wanted a blog post from me.

Written for: Michael
By: Kathie Marrs

No comments:

Post a Comment