Saturday, May 3, 2014

Food For Thought

Most of us go out to eat at times.  Some of us eat out frequently, some not so frequently.  We have a standing date with friends and meet them weekly for dinner.  Our goal this year is to try some place different every week - never repeating a restaurant.

Typically, when we eat out it's a pleasant experience.  Food is good, service is good, company is good.  We always leave a tip and I'm a good tipper.  I've been a server - back when they called us waitresses.  I know how hard they work. Usually the server is going to do their best to be sure that you have good service and everything is going well for you. 

Not only do we like to eat, we like to cruise too.  This is usually a great experience. On one of our cruises however, I did not have that experience.  

Normally on a cruise you get everything you want.  The staff go out of their way to be certain that you have anything you need.  A few years ago, Gary and I went a cruise with another couple.  We used an Italian cruise line. I should have known I was in trouble with our waiter the first night at dinner.  I told him what I wanted to order and he said 'No you don't want that."  

My response was "Yes, I do."  He insisted I didn't and this went on for a while until I finally said "Okay, what do you think I should have?"  I don't remember what he brought me it was good.  Same thing happened the next evening at dinner.  I tried to order something, he told me I didn't want it.  I told him to bring me what he thought I wanted.  

I could not get away from this waiter.  We went to a different dining room for breakfast and he was there.  I tried to order something for breakfast and he told me I didn't want that. I'd go through a buffet bar and there he was telling me what I could or could not have. Now keep in mind, I am dining with three other people.  He had no issue with what they wanted to eat -- just me.  It got to the point where I wouldn't even look at the menu.  I'd sit down and tell him to just bring me whatever he thought it was I wanted to eat that night.  

Not our typical cruise experience.  But I haven't forgotten it either.  The waiter who thought he knew my food preferences better than me.

Now back to the friends we eat with every week.  Last week we were having our dinner.  I'm eating a pasta dish (I just love pasta - should have been Italian).  The guys have finished eating and the server has taken their dishes away.  I have some pasta still on my plate and I had just put a bite in my mouth.  The server comes by and starts to take my plate away!!!  I'm sure there was a look of panic on my face as I couldn't tell her to get her hands off that plate - my mouth was full of food.  Now what gave her the right to decide that I didn't need to eat any more!  I hope Gary didn't leave her a good tip.  

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment