Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Reminiscing

My brothers and I are separated by many miles, unfortunately. However, we are able to share our lives with each other via phone calls and texts.  I LOVE texting.  Depending on what mood we are in we might just chat but sometimes, we reminisce.  I decided to share a few of the reminisces.  Now some of these are mine and some are my brothers but put them together and it's our childhood memories. What could be better?

If you knew my dad you know that he loved to work on things. We had a house that was built into a hillside. The entire south side of this house was a drive through garage. This was pretty neat to play in on days when it was to rainy to go outside. It was also a neat place for my dad to keep all kinds of tools and other 'fun' stuff.  I loved his tools. He had neat things.  I especially loved his wooden rulers that folded.  We weren't supposed to bother them but I broke several.  

Dad loved to work on things and it was not uncommon for him to be working on a car for one reason or another. Dad didn't like the cold and if it was even a little bit cold outside for him, he would take the engine out of the car and bring it inside to work on. Not sure how Mom felt about that but I don't really remember her complaining. 

 Now, as I said, we had a drive through garage, so you know it was pretty good sized. Did my dad park his car inside in the winter?   No. He was usually working on some sort of project involving carpentry. So the garage would have table saws and such set up in the middle. Back then cars could be plugged in to keep the engine charged up and ready to go when it was cold outside. I am sure he was the only person with a garage who parked his car outside and plugged it in to keep it running in the winter!  

I had an uncle, Harold, who served in the armed forces. I believe he did a stint in the Air Force then took some time off before re-enlisting in the Navy. Now during his time off, he drove for the Greyhound Bus Company. He would keep his car parked at Grandad Kern's when he was driving. One time Uncle Harold came in on the bus and called Dad to come and pick him up.

The bus station at that time was down town on the square and there was a bar either at the station or nearby.  It seems that they decided to have a beer before heading back home. Well, one beer turned into several and they decided it was not a good idea to drive home. So Dad called Mom to come and get them. Why he did this is beyond me as mom did NOT drive, which is probably a good thing for everyone. What did Mom do? She called the taxi to go pick them up. The taxi was run by Vic and Erma (I believe that is the correct name) Hendren.

Well, it seems they didn't want to go home with Erma so she had to go to our house to pick Mom up to take her to the bus station to fetch Dad and Uncle Harold home! Only in a small town would that happen.  LOL  

I also remember Dad always talking about Granny Lake's cooking.  Now Granny was a good cook. I loved her macaroni and cheese!!  She made excellent pies, too. Mom made a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and Dad made the comment, "good, but not as good as Lake's"  Probably wasn't a real smart thing for him to say as Mom did not make pumpkin pie for him again for a veeerrry long time. Unknown to him, Mom had Granny Lake make a pie and they tricked him and passed it off as one that Mom had made. So for Thanksgiving, Mom brings out the pumpkin pie. Dad again made the comment, "good, but not as good as Lake's".  He never again got pumpkin pie at our house.   

Yes, it's fun sharing these memories with my brothers and laughing together. I'm glad that we are able to share our childhood this way.  Hope you enjoyed the stories and keep checking my blog, you never know when I'll post more.  


No comments:

Post a Comment