Monday, April 13, 2015

National Poetry Month

April is National Poetry Month.  Some of you are thinking, so what?  Well, I happen to write poetry. I spent the better part of one day last week putting some of my poetry into my Dropbox Folders.  I have a folder in my Dropbox for Poems. This folder has eight sub-folders inside of it for the various divisions of poetry. I have a folder for Christmas poems, one for General, one for Religious, a big one for "In Progress" and one for Family.

My Family folder has sub-folders as well. See I write poems for my kids and grandkids. I have chronicled many things my grandchildren have done through poetry. From birth to whenever. You never know what will cause me to think of a poem.

Today is Monday - the day we have dinner with my BFF. She broke her ankle recently and had to have surgery and is currently in an assisted living facility, praying that a second surgery and recovery is not necessary. A few years ago she and I took a weekend trip by ourselves. I want to share the poem I wrote regarding our weekend adventures. Hope you enjoy the poem as much as we enjoyed our trip.




ROAD TRIP

We planned a road trip my BFF and me
Who knew how exciting this would be.
We pulled out of the drive – our trip had begun
Never knowing we would have so much fun.

Telling a story my friend said ‘crap’
Then over her mouth her hand did clap.
Now this she knows I think is a bad word
The rest of the weekend ‘oh s**t’ I heard.

We made  frequent  posts to Facebook
Knowing that our friends would all look.
We started out with some tasting of wine
Then we went over to try the zip line.

The wine clouded our thinking this is true
So over our faces our dresses flew.
Need to recover, time for some lunch
Margaritas hit the spot was the hunch.

On to the outlet stores to do some shopping
But there is a place we might be stopping.
Krispy Kreme at the entrance but we did agree
To stop only if a spot near the door was free.

How lucky for us!  A spot did appear
Only eight trips around for that spot to clear.
On to the Coach store I’m worried now you know
We left the store without a purchase this is so.

Another mall a short drive away
Headed back I hear Judy say.
“I think I have changed my mind.
I want that purse I left behind.”

 Back to our room the pool looks inviting
No suits in our bags – this could be exciting.
The pool closed early we did decide
As everyone got out when we did arrive.

Next morning we decide to ride the Ducks
But it seems that we are out of luck.
The word was out that we were in town
And our request was quickly turned down.

More shopping in store we did agree
A special purchase was made you see.
On Facebook we alluded to feathers
Something special we bought together.

Texas was playing football you know
Off to the room to see how the game does go.
Not a good game Judy needs consolation
To fend off this feeling of agitation.

We stop at Gilley’s and settle in
Our Karaoke makes their head spin.
Our performance is amazing they did agree
And repeat performances they want to see.

One more thing we want to do
We have always wanted a tattoo.
It’s a little sore but worth the pain
It’s the price we pay for our fame.

The happy pills cloud Judy’s mind
St. Louis was on that last sign.
We finally get the car headed west
This road trip has been the best.



Written for:  Judy
By:  Kathie Marrs

        October 19, 2011




                                                                              A rare photo of us together. 



Now let me ask you - is there something you would like me to write a poem about?  I'll do my best to create one just for you (Gary - I know what you are thinking and I'm kinda working on it just having trouble getting the start of it).  So go ahead - give me a challenge - what would you  like me to create a poem about?  

No comments:

Post a Comment