Friday, April 17, 2015

A Little Taste of Italy

Who's hungry?  Not me - I just came back from lunch.  I did however, want to let you know about our New Food Night this week.

I created my centerpiece this week from my leftover Easter flowers. I love fresh flowers



Remember that Gary challenged Annette to use fennel and then she challenged him to use kale? Well, this week Mr. Rick was challenged to use Pork Burger!

So we started our meal with a simple lettuce wedge and homemade dressing.



This is a favorite of ours. And one Gary loves as it cane from his Grandmom.  The dressing is a simple one to make and reminds me of coleslaw dressing. Mayo (or at our house it's Miracle Whip), milk a little sugar a little lemon juice - taste and adjust to your preference.  Top the Lettuce Wedge Salad with some salt and pepper.  Nothing better in my book.

Now just how did Mr. Rick use that pork burger?  Well, with spaghetti and meat sauce of course!

Just a bowl of plain ol' spaghetti.



The meat sauce consisted of (I hope I remember everything he told me he used) pork burger and some hamburger. Add to this salt, pepper,  V-8 tomato sauce,  some cayenne pepper, oregano, onion power garlic powder, some wine, Italian seasoning,




Very good.  I do love spaghetti and meat sauce.

We picked up a loaf of Rosemary Olive Oil bread from Reasor's.  I forgot to get a picture of the olive oil and spices Gary fixed for us to dip our bread in (just like all good Italian restaurants give you).



And for dessert I whipped up a Pumpkin Pie bar.  Not a lot of credit here for this as it came from a mix. It was very good though and happens to be one we like.  I picked it up at the holidays when they always have lots of pumpkin stuff around.


 
Don't you like the layers of color in this dessert?


There you have it.  Our meal for the week.  If you notice I did not mention Miss Annette. That's because she was not feeling well and had to cancel this week. (Sad face here from all of us). I am happy to say that she is feeling better now though. Another challenge has been issued for the next meal. Actually more of a food craving Mr. Rick had.  LOL

Now I'm still waiting to see what you, my readers, want to challenge us with.  And K.C. - this does not mean beets!  Come on - give us a challenge - we are up to it!  Maybe a food you wonder about?  Maybe a dish you wonder about but don't have the courage to try yourself - we will be your guinea pigs.


3 comments:

  1. I accept the challenge of challenging you. I present you with tomatillos. May the odds be ever in your favor ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how exciting! We accept! Now let me do a little research to see if I do the actual challenge or pass it off to Gary (I'm usually just a sous chef at our house).

      Delete
  2. Fine you don't want the beets how about pickled pigs feet? lol

    ReplyDelete