Thursday, April 23, 2015

Nursing Home/Hospital Tips


I thought I would do this post on nursing homes. Not because I need one (not yet anyway) but I  thought it might be useful information.

Now I myself don't think I will ever need one. I have been advised by my daughter K. C. that if she ever puts me in a nursing home she will make sure it has video surveillance so she can check in on me. Good thing I had some grandkids come along. Lily has assured me that she will take me when I am old.  I think that's just because she wants my stuff.  Isn't it nice to be wanted?


The following is wisdom learned. Keep in mind, this information would apply equally well to a hospital stay or a nursing home stay.

One of the first things to remember is that food delivered from the kitchen is usually covered in plastic wrap. This may not seem important to you but it is. If you are in a nursing home chances are you are probably older and may be having some problems with your vision. The nurse pulls that little tray table up to you and places a tray of 'appetizing' food in front of you.  (Notice how I said appetizing? I don't know about you but I don't usually find food in the hospital appetizing).

The tray holds a glass of ice and a can of pop. Yes, I call it pop unlike a lot of people who call it soda.  Back to the topic. You open up the can and start to pour it over the ice only to have the pop overflow without even going into the glass!!  Oh yeah!  There is a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the glass of ice! Who knew??!!   When you go to put that packet of salt on your green beans it also just scatters and goes over the side. Yep, you guessed it. That small little bowl of green beans was also covered in plastic wrap. Make mental note to be sure to remove the plastic wrap at the next meal.


They have a handy little item that the nurses like to keep close to you. It's called a call button. All you have to do is push the little button and someone will come to assist you. Well, that's the way it's supposed to work. And it does work that way - it just may not be answered in a timely fashion. Now I won't say that the nurses are extremely slow in responding. They do an excellent job (I have friends who are nurses and I really do appreciate them and all the nurses who have taken care of me the many times I have been hospitalized). But there are some people, such as myself and my BFF, who really hate to bother nurses and if we push that call button we really need something right then!  Let's just say that call buttons not answered promptly could lead to accidents.

And that brings up another topic. Seating in the room.  Some places are so nice and allow for additional seating in the room. What is even better, that extra chair they have sitting in the room can be used when you need to relieve yourself!  How very handy is that?   Now this 'extra' chair brings up another topic.

Underwear -- they are not really necessary. That's right - go commando.  Makes it so much easier when the nurses are running a little slow and you are needing the extra chair.

Wow! This kind of all ties in together doesn't it? To much of the soda at lunch causes you to push the call button which if not answered promptly gives you very limited time to use that extra chair without an accident.

And there is one last piece of advise that I can pass on. There is no need to worry about whether or not you are able to use the shower. You may be at risk of falling or such and it is deemed best that you not use the shower. No problem.  I have been advised that you can lay in your chair 'buck naked' and be 'swabbed down'.

There you are - some tips on nursing homes.  Hope that if  you ever need them you can remember them.  What do you think? Will they be helpful?


No comments:

Post a Comment