Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Challenge Continues

This seems to be a good blog post type day. I've just gotten emails that two of my favorite bloggers have already posted today.  Let me give them a shout-out before I continue on with my own blog. If you don't already read them check them out.  First is my daughter. She has a blog that combines cooking lessons with Bible lessons. If you haven't already, check out her blog at www.moralmorsels.com.  You won't regret it.  Pass the link on to your family and friends.  Another one to check out if you are wanting a good food blog is Accidental Happy Baker at www.accidentalhappbaker.com.

Okay - now my turn.  Remember our New Food Night?

Remember last week we had a challenge?

Part of last week's challenge was that Miss Annette got to give Gary a challenge for this week's New Food Night.  She was torn between kale and quinoa but settled on kale. Gary took the challenge one step farther and used both!  This was going to be a soup, salad, sandwich meal.  Get ready to have your taste buds tantalized!

We started out with a hearty Kale Sausage Soup.  He used some good Italian sausage which he browned up. Added onion, diced potatoes, chicken stock, red pepper flakes, oregano, milk, and some half and half along with some chopped kale. This was a very good soup!


We all thought it would make a great winter soup.  Vicki - this may be our Christmas soup this year if you want to try something different.

Next up was the salad. Gary chopped up some kale and steamed it then put it in the fridge to cool. He also cooked up some quinoa. This is a rice type ingredient. I've had it once before with some salmon and thought it had a nutty type flavor. The quinoa was cooked and cooled. Then I diced up half a cucumber, an avacado and a tomato. Mix the kale, quinoa and other veggies together then toss with Italaian dressing.




It was good but probably not one of my favorites. Chris loved it!!  He ate two big plates of the salad.

Next up is sandwiches. Miss Annette took some rolls from Sprouts that she cut in half. She then added some Black Forest Ham, Genoa Salami, Italian Garlic Turkey and Provolone cheese. She also brought along 'toppings' - some lettuce, onions, tomatoes, peppers, spicy mustard and some mayo.   Yummers!! I just love sandwiches and could probably live on them.




And of course every meal ends with dessert. Mr. Rick provided us with a Chocolate Bundt Cake. We had quite a discussion on the old Coconut Macaroon Bundt Cake that we grew up with when Bundt cakes became popular.  This chocolate version was scrumptious!




There you have it - our meal for the week.   A challenge has been issued to Mr. Rick but you have to return to my blog to find out what that challenge is.  In the meantime tell me -- What would you like to have us try for New Food Night?



4 comments:

  1. That soup is one of my all time favorites! I love it, love it. This meal looks and sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy. We had never tried it but so glad that we did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soup does sound good! I should challenge you to use beets next time ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY! think hard on that one - I don't know if any of us are beet people LOL

    ReplyDelete