Monday, April 11, 2016

Follow Me



Our church recently began a series on Discipleship. After the first sermon I reviewed the notes from the sermon, took to my computer and started some research.

Google and Pinterest provided lots of information. Okay, my Pinterest 'research' was actually me creating a board and pining different things that characterized a disciple or such. It did however, lead me to the book 'Follow Me' by David Platt.

Now part of being a disciple involves the words 'follow me'. So I ordered the book not sure what I was getting but wanting to read it. It's just a small booklet that I read, underlined and highlighted.  Only 53 pages - quick read.

I must say that after the first sermon Gary and I both said that it reminded us of the study we did on Not a Fan. Simple put don't be a fan of Jesus - be a Follower.  The stadium is full of fans.

Long story short - as I am reading the booklet and making notes in my notebook a poem started putting itself together in my head. So I opened up my word document and wrote the following:


FOLLOW ME

“Follow me,” Jesus did say
As He passed by the disciples that day.
Their life would never be the same.

“Follow me,” Jesus does say
To everyone one of us today.
Our lives become a brand new game.

Follow me – a simple phrase
The same choice as in Jesus’ days.
A choice everyone must make.

Follow Him – start your life anew
As Jesus begins His work in you.
Your quality of life is at stake.

Follow Him – Christ makes the call
It is given to one and all.
Begin a journey that is life-long

Follow Him – a follower be
More of Him – none of me.
Know with Jesus you belong.

Follow Him – it is required
Be a disciple is what Jesus desired.
A call to die – a call to live.

Follow Him – take up His cross
Know that your life is not lost.
Give of yourself as Jesus did give.

Follow Him – spread His word
Give of yourself – don’t be deterred.
Be the person Jesus asks of you.

Written by: Kathie Marrs

April 11, 2016


Am I a disciple? Yes!  Am I good disciple? No -- I fail miserably. But that doesn't stop me from continuing to learn and grow. It's an ongoing process. It's a lifelong journey that I must commit myself to every minute of every day.  Commit to God to abandon myself and take up HIS cross daily.  I invite all of you to join me in this journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment