Friday, April 26, 2013

Fluffy But Happy

You've all seen those commercials on TV or ads in the paper, on Facebook - everywhere you look.  The ad shows a before and after picture and somewhere you are going to see the words:  Be a Happier, Healthier You.  Really!!!!  Who said I wasn't happy as I am?

Yes, I know I am overweight.  Yes, I know about portion control and I exercise it.  Yes, I know about eating healthy and I try to.  I do not over-indulge in sweets - could care less about ice cream or dessert.  Don't mind an occasional candy bar but I know my weaknesses are licorice, tootsie rolls and potato chips.  I do not keep these around for that reason -- I know that I will not stop eating until the bag is gone!  Yes, I know that I need to exercise and I do to an extent.  I could do better - yes I also know this.  I also know that pain in my knees from having no cartilage limits my exercising.  I also know that not being able to walk up hills or stairs without getting out of breath limits me.  I can walk on flat surfaces indefinitely and do try to walk and am currently trying to incorporate more walking into my life. 

But what makes you think I am unhappy?  Do I sit around crying all day long because I am overweight?  Do I walk around despondent?  I don't think so!   I think of myself as a pretty well-adjusted although over-weight person.  And really - I'm not over-weight  I'm just overly short for my BMI. 

Was there some study done that overweight people and skinny people participated in that came up with the conclusion that overweight people are unhappy?  If so, why didn't I know about this?  I would have loved to have been able to participate in that study.  I always miss out on the good studies - but that is a whole different topic for another blog post. 

But have you ever really looked at those BMI charts?  I mean seriously -- 117-125 pounds for someone who is 5'3" and 55 years old!  Seems a little bit unrealistic to me.  Now, part of my weight issue I blame on heretics.  My mom was short and plump - my dad was tall and skinny.  For some reason God thought it would be a good idea to be certain that my brothers all get the skinny gene while I got the plump gene.  Thanks, God!  And believe it or not - I do watch what I eat -- because of cholesterol and high blood pressure.  Unable to control this by diet I take medicine for it.  It's hereditary as all my brothers also have issues with cholesterol and blood pressure.  It is what it is. 

So please don't just assume that I am unhappy because I am overweight.  Would I be any happier if I was skinny?  I don't think so!  I would probably then be worrying about what whether or not I was going to put on 5 pounds.  Would I be any healthier?  Perhaps - but I know that I would still have my cholesterol and blood pressure problems.  Will I continue to try to lose weight?  Of course I will.  I would love to lose some weight.  However, it is not going to control my life and I will not agonize over it. 

Now, I am not promoting that people be overweight for any reason but stop and think about it.  Being a little bit "fluffy" (a word that some people prefer) means that we don't have very many wrinkles.  They are all filled in.  I like to think of myself kind of like the Pillsbury Dough Boy -- everyone likes him.  And if you poke me in my tummy - I will giggle just like him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment