Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Stupidity

Have you ever noticed that stupidity has no age limit?  Seriously - and telling me your age doesn't make me think any differently about your intelligence.  In fact, there are times that telling me your age makes me think you are even stupider than I originally thought. 

I know I'm in trouble with a call if the first question I ask you is "Do you know the password you use to log into a computer on campus?" and you are unable to even answer yes or no.  And 30 minutes later when you tell me that you are still not able to log into your email I really question your intelligence.  My administrator has logged in twice with your information without any problem.  We have actually gone in and set up your password for you to what you want.  I know your account is working but cannot see what you are doing wrong.  And just staying on the phone will not make it work for you.  We can only advise to try another computer and see if you can find someone to assist you to be certain you are entering everything correctly. 

And for the life of me I cannot determine which is worse to deal with.  The young, don't want to listen, I know what I'm doing and I never have a problem smart aleck kids just out of High School, the mother who is trying to do everything for her child because they just won't do it, or the older (anywhere from 40-90) learner who keeps telling me that they are an old person they have trouble with all this stuff. 

The older person who has problems is constantly saying - just be patient I'm older and not real good with this computer stuff.  It takes me a while.  Really???  I never would have guessed that.  It has only taken you five minutes to type in your name.  And during that time I pulled up your account in a different screen and see that you are only 47.  And no we do not have any capital numbers it's perfectly fine to make them all small.  You don't hear me answering the phone "thank you for calling TCC - give me just a minute here - I'm older and it takes me a little while". 

And the mothers and fathers are the absolute worst.  Really, I do not think you are helping your child at all by doing this for them.  I will give you the information that your child needs to log into everything but I am going to advise that you let him/her do this as it is in their best interests.  I understand that you want to fill out the Tulsa Achieves because it's like free tuition and saves you money.  I understand you probably are paying for the class and want to be certain it is done.  But are you going to be taking that test for your son or daughter?  And please, don't get mad at me if I advise that you allow your son or daughter to be the one to log into TED and set up their own security questions.  You may have a degree and I may mot but I know that unless your son/daughter can answer those security questions that you choose - they will be screwed!  I have talked to to many students who have told me that their mom set up their questions and they have no idea who their mother's favorite friend in grade school was.  That degree that you have wasn't any help in this situation.

And to the has-to-be blonde on the phone (no offense here to blondes-  my girls are blonde) who has no idea how to send an email.  Good luck .   I know I will be talking to you frequently throughout the coming weeks, months. And sure enough a few days later you call back and specifically ask for me.  Why oh why did I ever tell you my name.  You refuse to talk to anyone else who answers the phone although they are perfectly capable of assisting you.

And women are not the only ones who have a stupidity problem.  Men can be just as bad.  Example - the young guy who just called for his password.  When I attempted to verify the answers to his questions I was unable to do so.  I advised that I cannot see the answers - only try to verify them.  His response was "I didn't know that spelling and spacing would count.  Can we do something else?'  Sorry - no can do you have to tell me exactly what you put in for me to verify the answers.  I have no way of knowing what you put in I cannot see it.  And if it's a security question - why would you not think that spelling would matter.  And no - there is no back door to use.  You either know what you put in or you don't. 

So again - stupidity has no age limit - it affects all ages and they all call our help desk. 



No comments:

Post a Comment