Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Jobs

Last night we went to K-Mart to get Chris some black pants for work.  He starts a new job on Thursday.  And finding pants for him is extremely hard.  He wears a 28 or 29 waist.  Cannot hardly find them in men's department.  However, we were able to find some size 16 in the boys department that fit him perfectly. 

So you are probably wondering - what does this have to do with jobs?  Well, we went to check out.  There was one person in front of us - no big deal.  The cashier was - well for want of a better word - ditsy!  Total ditz! Total disregard for customer service.  When she waited on us she actually turned her back on us and was talking to the person working behind her!  This irritated me so much that when she tore off coupons and threw them away I asked her if those were supposed to be our coupons.  She replied no they belonged to the person in front of us.  I responded "are you sure, you haven't been paying any attention."  Very rude on my part but she irritated me!  And I really didn't care about the coupons. 

Now I went through all that to discuss my jobs.  I am very fortunate in the fact that although I have had numerous different jobs I have never had a job that I did not like.  I have been working since I was probably 12 or 13.  Well, getting paid to work anyway.  I worked at home prior to that doing housework, laundry, cooking, etc.  Then I started babysitting and cleaning houses for teachers at school.  I have worked in grocery stores as cashier, meat wrapper and also as book keeper.  Loved all that. 

I have worked in two different meat plants - one as a wrapper - one as a sausage maker.  Loved those jobs -- and gotta say - my hands have never been any softer than when I worked in the meat lockers with sausage.  I have been a waitress/bar-tender.  I have worked for a jewelry distributor in St. Louis (made display samples for salesmen).  This was a fun job and every day I got to choose whatever jewelry I wanted to wear. 

I have worked for a water district and at one time was a class D water operator.  Sounds impressive - made it possible for the water district to be in compliance when the regular operator went on vacation.  I have been dispatcher/route rack for lawn care company and even have been known as CPR (cancel-pending representative - try to save the customer).

One of my more interesting jobs was when I lived in the Panhandle of Oklahoma and was bookkeeper/relief pump operator.  Relief pump operator goes out to oil-wells and measures the amount of oil stored in containers to see if pick up needs to be scheduled.  You also have to check the pumps to be certain all are working and turn off whichever ones the oil companies are not wanting to pump oil for that week. 

I have also been a house-parent at Cal Farley's Boys Ranch and also substitute teacher. I have been a manager at different jobs including McDonald's.  I currently work at the IT Service Desk at TCC.  If you read my blog on any type of regular basis you have read about this job.  So you can see that I have held several jobs.  And I must say I know customer service and have always tried to provide it to everyone. 

Customer Service --- SMILE!!!!!  Give the person your FULL attention.    LISTEN!!!    and always - always - always -- THE CUSTOMER IS NEVER WRONG (at least while you are face to face - or on the phone with them). 


No comments:

Post a Comment