Friday, April 5, 2013

The Girls

Gonna talk about my three oldest girls.  Each one of them is truly amazing.  They are strong women and have all been through difficult times but have survived and moved on.  I am so proud of each of them. 

I had the three girls in four years so needless to say they are close together in age.  It was so much fun watching them grow up.  And yes, there were a lot of headaches and heartaches but I would not trade any of it.  So let me introduce you to my girls:  



Aren't they beautiful?   You think they look alike now - you should have seen them when they were younger.   Little stair steps. 



Yes, I used to make the girls matching outfits for special holidays (Easter, Valentine's Day, Christmas, sometimes summer short sets) when they were younger.  And as you can tell by the first picture, even as they have gotten older I sometimes still have them dress alike. 

I loved to hear them laugh.  And I still love it when they are able to all be together and laugh.  It's kinda contagious.   I miss uncontrollable, contagious laughter that brings tears to your eyes.  

We were mostly on our own until Gary came along. I made some mistakes raising them but I did the best I knew to do and learned from my mistakes.  And, after all, I think all parents make mistakes of some kind.  Doesn't matter.  They still turned out to be pretty good girls.

I tried to teach my girls to take care of themselves and not be dependent on anyone.  When they started dating I always told them to be sure and take some money with you - even if it's only enough for a phone call home.  Don't be dependent on someone you have just gotten into a fight with to be sure that you arrive back home safely.  Don't put yourself in that position.  Be responsible for yourself.  From the time they could make a fist and stand I started teaching them how to fight.  They had no brother around to stick up for them they were going to have to do it on their own.  So I taught them to be independent. 

Tarinda - the oldest - always the 'mother' to the younger ones.  She still tries to be - I think that's just typical of the oldest child with younger siblings.  She is amazing.  She has four children and home schools them all.  She is currently taking online classes to get her degree.  She had her oldest (our soon to be 18 year old grandson at a young age).  Now she is going back and getting her college education.  She has gone through a lot but remains strong.  Her faith is amazing and I have always admired how she has taught her children to accept the help God gives them when it is given.  Look for the silver lining - there is one somewhere. 

Charlie - the middle child - always wanting the keep the peace.  She must take after me in this way.  We don't like to rock the boat but we will if we need to.  Charlie has given of herself to both her sisters.  When Tarinda had the twins Charlie was right there helping her out as much as she could  When K.C. was expecting her second child and her first was only about 9 months old and K.C. was alone; Charlie quit her job and moved back to Missouri to be there for K.C.  She stayed and helped her out until the our Lily girl was about 6 months old.  She then moved back to Phoenix.  She has supported herself, has saved up and bought a house and has recently gone together with some friends and opened up her own business.  I admire her ability to make and keep friends and never know a stranger.  She is very outgoing and giving. 

K.C. - the youngest and the baby.  She was told this so much growing up and her sisters did so much for her it's a wonder she ever did anything for herself.  She has grown into an amazing woman.  I blame all her bad traits on her dad but she is still amazing.  She has never been a big fan of kids but she has two of her own and she will tell you "your own are different".   And for someone who isn't crazy about kids she does a phenomenal job with hers.  I never would have believed that she would be a girl scout troop leader.  She does an awesome job.  She has always been very outspoken about what she wants and never hesitates to stand up for herself or her children.  Sometimes I think she can be a little too out-spoken but it is who she is and I wouldn't change it. 

So these are "my girls".  They look alike and we always joke about how much they look alike and always have.  They must take after my side of the family because I see my mom in each one of them in different ways. Here's to the girls and the joy and pride they continue to bring me every day. 



1 comment: