Friday, April 12, 2013

Staying with Grandma

When the weekend comes around Remington and Lily like to hang out with me.  Well, Remington does more than Lily but they both spend time.  Such was the case last weekend.  So what does it mean to spend the night with Grandma?  Simple -- it means FUN! 

Last weekend both Remington and Lily planned on spending the night.  A big part of that was because I had to work on Saturday and they both wanted to go to work with me.  When K.C. and the kids lived with us they had to work with me if it was my Saturday.  When they moved out they were a little concerned about how I was going to be able to work without them.  They don't go as often but they do enjoy going to work. 

Here is how our last weekend went:

First you have to pack.  As you can see Lily believes in being prepared



Yes, she has four bags for one night.  She takes after her Aunt Tarinda in this sense. 

Ok - bags for Lily packed.  Remington just grabs a clean pair of boxers and a pair of shorts and a couple of stuffed monkeys that he carries in his hands and throws on the floor when he arrives.  Lily takes her bags to the spare room.  She informs me that the spare room should be her room.  I advise her that I will need to use the room to store stuff and she says that's fine as I long as I don't put anything on the bed. 

Remington heads off to Chris' room to play some video games with him while Lily and I play dogs.  Now, this game can be played two ways. One way is Lily pretends to be a dog and I pretend to throw sticks that she chases and brings back to me.  I pet her head and tell her she's a good dog and she goes and lifts her leg to pee on the furniture.  The second way is that she brings over several stuffed dogs and some leashes and we take the dogs on a walk in the back yard.  The second option was what happened last weekend. 

Time to fix dinner.  Remington still playing with Chris but Lily always wants to help me cook.  Knowing they were spending the night I had already decided to make pizza biscuit pockets knowing that Lily would enjoy helping with this.  Shortly after Grampa gets home from work dinner is ready.  Lily and I opt to eat in the dining room while the guys eat in the living room.  Since everyone ate really good Grampa thinks we should go out for a special treat.  Last time we went to Krsipy Kreme.  Last weekend we went to Dairy Queen.  Good choice Grampa!

Ok back at home and since we have to work tomorrow I tell them they have to go to bed early.  No argument there.  They don't like to sleep in the spare room (although Lily insists on having it for her room).  They each have a sofa in the living room.  So we watch TV for half an hour before turning TV off.  I have to split the time here - 15 minutes sitting with Lily on her couch then 15 minutes sitting with Remington on his couch.  I remind them that I will be getting them up early and they are ok with that. 

Saturday morning bright and early I go wake them up but they are already up.  I tell them to get dressed, brush their teeth and comb their hair we are leaving in 20 minutes.  No problem - they are ready.  First stop we make is at the donut shop around the corner where they pick out the donuts they want.  Then down the street to Quik Trip where we each get our cup of coffee. Yes, they drink coffee with me.  Remington always drinks coffee,.  Lily sometimes does and sometimes get chocolate milk.  Now on to work.  I have to be sure to drive in the right hand lane on the Expressway because on the way we can see the dinosaur.  There is one house that has taken old tires and arranged them in the front yard to resemble a dinosaur.  They have painted this and the kids are always on the lookout for the dinosaur. 

Ok - at work we get busy.  I do my thing and they do theirs.  First we eat our breakfast.  They then are busy with coloring pictures, playing with stuffed animals, playing zoo, playing runaway monkey, etc.  This past weekend the big pastime was lining the trash cans up and jumping over them like an obstacle course. Remington could not believe how fast our morning went by.

After work, we have lunch then head off to our favorite spot "Turtle Pond".  We want to check on our pal Tuttles the turtle.  All is well at Turtle Pond (known to local Tulsans as Swan Lake).  We find several eggs that the ducks and geese have laid.  Now on home. 

We spend the remainder of the afternoon checking out stuff on the Internet and just hanging out until it's time to go home. 

Now, here it is Friday again and Remington is here for the night.  Lily has gone to stay with a friend but that's even better for Remington.  I need to go fix dinner find out what my Bud wants to do tomorrow since we don't have to work 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment