Friday, October 19, 2012

Military

We live in country where we have lots of freedoms. Most of these are taken for granted. These freedoms we enjoy don't just happen. There is a special group of people who fight for us to have these freedoms. I am talking about our military.

I come from military people. I didn't grow up in the military as some do. Both of my parents served in the Army during the Korean war. On my dad's side of the family I have an uncle who also served in the Korean war and another uncle who is retired Marine Corps. On my mom's side I have an uncle who is retired Navy, an uncle who retired Air Force, uncles served/retired Army. I have two brothers who are retired Navy, one brother who served in the Air Force. I have cousins who have served, I have nepehews who have served. My cousins sons have served or are serving. I have men I considered as family from Cal Farley's Boys Ranch who have served. My family has served in the Vietnam War, Dessert Storm, Gulf War. Out of my immediate family I am the only one who did not serve in the militaty.

I say that to say this - I take military as a way of life. I am thankful for every person who has served or is serving now. If I hear that someone is going into military I don't try to guess why - I am just thankful that they felt the call and responded. I know the military is not for everyone. When 9/11 occurred I immediatley went through my family members to determine if anyone was in service at that point who might have to go to war.

We have friends whose son joined the Marines. He has been gone for 13 weeks doing his training. His graduation was today. They flew out to be there with him. Yesterday they posted pictures of him. This was the first time they had seen him in 13 weeks. I know how proud they are of him. I looked at the pictures of him they posted on Facebook and I could see in the pictures that he was changed. I could see a sense of pride in the way he stood and I could see a determination in his eyes.

That put my mind to thinking. The following poem is the results of what I saw in the pictures on Facebook. I again want to say thanks to anyone who has served or is serving now.






A MARINE

You left a boy - came home a man
I can’t begin to understand.

Not a boy in age it’s true
But this experience has changed you.

You stand taller, your gaze is steady
Anyone can tell that you are ready.

Your grip is firm when I take your hand
There is confidence in the way you stand.

An air of assurance I do see
As you stand facing me.

You carry yourself with pride
I see it in every stride.

Your posture is erect and strong
It’s easy to see that you belong.

Part of an elite breed
You respond if there is a need.

You stand here with pride today
You are a Marine all the way.

You responded when you heard the call
You’re ready to give your country your all.

Written by: Kathie Marrs
October 19, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment