Monday, October 8, 2012

Sneaky Snake

Ok - anyone who knows me at all is wondering why I have titled this Sneaky Snake.  I am petrified of snakes. I cannot even look at pictures of them without my heart racing and getting short of breath.  You know how sometimes on news shows they will state a warning that the following story/pictures are graphic.  I believe any news story pertaining to a snake of any kind should have to have a warning at the beginning.  Something along the line of:  Warning, if you have an aversion to snakes you may want to close your eyes.  They are pictures of snakes in this news story.

My grandkids know how terrified of snakes I am.  They tend to protect me (usually).  When we go to the Dollar store and get to the toy aisle they will walk sideways in front of the toy snakes and tell me to look the other way.  Get the picture, I DO NOT LIKE SNAKES.

We have a quick-set pool.  You know the kind, spread it out, air up the ring on top and fill it with water.  We are taking down our pool at this time.  I do not get as excited about taking the pool down as I do putting it  up.  I start in April asking for assistance with the pool.  I want it up and filled so I can laze and float whenever I have the chance.  One time our pool had been stored behind the shed.  I wanted it up, the weather was getting warm so I decided that perhaps Chris and I could do this our self.  We might have been able to if we hadn't found a snake that had decided to take a rest in the pool.  The following poem explains what happened next:


 
Snake in the Pool!!
The summer days were quickly fleeing
Relaxing in the pool was what I was needing.
I squared my shoulders and walked to the shed
Setting up the pool now was in my head.
I could come home from work and just hang out
Yep, the pool was needed there was no doubt.
I pulled it out to the middle of the yard
Wow - I can tell this will be hard!
The pool was heavy, I pulled and I tugged
And also kept slapping at some pesky bug.
Pulling, tugging and then straighten it out
When all of a sudden I gave ONE BIG SHOUT!
My heart began to race and I began to run
All of a sudden it was no longer fun.
Chris came to see what had caused me to yell
"A snake in the pool" was all I could tell.
A lump in my throat, my heart still racing
What terrible times I was now facing.
There was a snake in the pool it was true
Now just what was I supposed to do?
I was ready to give up - forget the pool
I'm not messing with a snake, I'm not a fool.
Maybe I can make a wide circle and reach the gate
Go around front and inside before it's too late.
Gary will be home eventually it is true
Eliminating a snake I will make him do.
"Don't worry, Mom" I heard Chris say
"I'll take care of the snake for you today."
I just want it dead and away from here
A snake is something that I do fear.
I'm hiding in the shed afraid to go out
But full of advice to give no doubt.
"Here's a broom that maybe you can use.
And aren't you wearing a pair of shoes.?
Step on it! Smash it! Oh good night!!!"
I saw the snake move, I shook with fright.
Chris is beating the snake with the broom
And visions of terror in my mind still loom.
Chris is stomping on the snake with his shoes
I hope it's a battle that he won't lose.
Again I interject a piece of good advice
"Sweep it on the grass and give it a slice.
Here's a little shovel, will it work for you?
Sweep it out step on it and chop it up too."
I wanted the snake gone from my sight right away.
"Sweep it onto the shovel and throw it away.
Not in the yard! Put it in the trash can.
And do it just as quick as you can."
Make sure it is gone I don't want it around
Or still in this shed is where I will be found.
My heart is starting to resume it's normal pace
And the color is coming back to my face.
I take some deep breaths and try to calm down
Close my eyes and try to look around.
I ask Chris to be sure and look around
Make sure there isn't any more snakes to be found.
I get myself under control and finally leave the shed
But I can still see the snake in my head.
I tentatively approach the scene of my nightmare
After Chris gives assurance that no snake lingers there.
I work on the pool with some trepidation
Thinking that I am now in desperate need of relaxation.
I pull and I tug and the liner I straighten
Remembering the snake that I am hating.
I get out the hose and turn the water on
Only to discover there is something wrong.
It's doesn't take long for me to see
That Gary's help will be a necessity.
So into the house Chris and I do go
I'm still kind of shaky if you want to know.
The snake was a fright I will say
But Chris came through and saved the day.
We did get the pool filled eventually
So now you can come and relax with me.
 
Kathie Marrs
June 26, 2007
 

No comments:

Post a Comment